Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MayorQwert

Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Post by MayorQwert »

I've noticed that even if you set the MM5 audio device to be "default" it will not automatically change over when a new primary audio device is connected. I have to typically close and reopen MM5 for it to switch, since it's honestly quicker to do that than go through the hassle of navigating all the way to the output plugins.

Any chance we can have it automatically update the audio device when you have the device set to "default"?
Lowlander

Re: Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is

Post by Lowlander »

Which build and Audio Output Plug-in?
MayorQwert

Post by MayorQwert »

I'm currently using 5.0.0.2271 and WASAPI output. Settings are as follows:

Default device
Remove silence at beginning/end
Smooth pause
Smooth seek
Smooth stop

Let me know if you need any more info!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try latest 2273.

It should switch Automatically when previous device do not get available/changed. Usually just playback stop and play again fixes the issue.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MayorQwert

Post by MayorQwert »

Great, I'll try it out!
MayorQwert

Post by MayorQwert »

Just gave the newest build a try and no luck. When I am playing audio on a device and change the device audio continues to come from the other device regardless of whether I stop playback, change files, or anything. I have to restart the player to have it change over or re-initialize the audio output plugin (open it op, re-select default, then press OK). It doesn't automatically switch over to the newly connected device at all it seems.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

What types of devices are you connecting? (Bluetooth, USB, wired audio jack)?
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MayorQwert

Post by MayorQwert »

I'm switching between constantly-connected devices. Three devices in total.

Speakers on the monitor attached to my computer (for general listening)
"High Quality" speaker+sub near my computer (for music)
"Steam Streaming Speakers" device that's constantly on my PC (for Steam Link)

None of these devices are ever disconnected and I can swap at any time using the windows system audio settings. However, MediaMonkey will not automatically follow suite and switch when I switch the system audio, either directly or automatically. The automatic case is when I start streaming via my Steam Link, Windows automatically will switch to the Steam Streaming Speakers, and back to whatever it had before when I stop streaming. However, even if I were to manually switch between my monitor speakers and music speakers, it still doesn't switch.

I have to open up the audio output plugin I'm using and press "Configure" then "OK" to have it re-initialize every time I change devices, or else it will continue to play from whatever device it was previously set to.
drakinite

Post by drakinite »

Thanks for the information. I can reproduce when the output plug-in is set to WASAPI. Tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17114

In the meantime, try the other output plug-ins (MMDS or waveOut); Switching output devices seems to work for those two.
Student electrical-computer engineer, web programmer, part-time MediaMonkey developer, full-time MediaMonkey enthusiast
I uploaded many addons to MM's addon page, but not all of those were created by me. "By drakinite, Submitted by drakinite" means I made it on my own time. "By Ventis Media, Inc., Submitted by drakinite" means it may have been made by me or another MediaMonkey developer, so instead of crediting/thanking me, please thank the team. You can still ask me for support on any of our addons.
MayorQwert

Re: Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Post by MayorQwert »

Great to hear!
kathy2343

Re: Have MM5 automatically change to whatever system default audio device is [#17114]

Post by kathy2343 »

I have essentially the same problem. I have a Bluetooth speaker attached to my computer. If I forget to turn it on before opening MM, and then I switch speakers using Windows Volume Control/Speakers selector, MM doesn't recognize the change, even if I pause and resume play. I have to close and relaunch MM, and then it will use the speaker Windows is using. Would love to have this fixed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which build of MMW5 are you on as this has been fixed already.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Kathy not sure what version this was fixed but this was a constant problem for me. Works now with a message.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
kathy2343

Post by kathy2343 »

I'm so sorry! I chimed in on this topic way back when and hadn't checked into the thread for a while, so I never saw someone's response asking what build I was on.

I'm still having the problem, despite it supposedly being fixed back in build 2276. I'm on 5.0.1.2433 (Gold Lifetime) and if I change system speaker when MM is open, I have to close it to get it to recognize the change. Pause/play does not solve it.

Anyone have another suggestion? The restart is a workaround, but it sure would be nice for it to just work correctly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please start with updating to the latest release: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... =8811&sd=d