Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

EvilMM

Re: Burning CD Function is Missing [#17807]

Post by EvilMM »

Hi,

It is disappointing for me not to be able to burn CDs directly from MM5.
Last year, I searched for a tool to organize music. iTunes is not usable anymore. MM5 is very powerful.
I organize my music and podcasts, have tons of playlists, and still have an iPod that I fill with MM5.

I think MediaMonkey is a tool for people who spend lots of time managing their music libraries and don't stream everything.
When buying the MM5 Lifetime License, I also thought that burning CD was a feature that would be implemented. Because... why not? It is fundamental!

Even if it is possible to use MM4 as a workaround (what I have to do as it seems), it is an unsatisfying solution.

Greetings,
Klaus
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

EvilMM wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:32 am Even if it is possible to use MM4 as a workaround (what I have to do as it seems), it is an unsatisfying solution.
Just FYI: You can use addon to make this easier: viewtopic.php?p=493741#p493741
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Can give us an update about where you guys are on this? Are you ever going to try to restore this lost feature or is a cumbersome workaround the best we're ever going to get?

I'm not about to threaten to quit using MM just because of this one problem. It has too many other positive features to do that. But this is still my biggest gripe about MM5 by a long shot. And while I understand burning audio CDs is not that common anymore, as all the replies to this thread show there are still quite a few of us that like or need to burn audio CDs. And to be blunt, it just plain pisses me off every time I run into this. Like I said, I'm nowhere near ready to switch to another program. But it really is making me like the product a lot less than I used to. It's sad, but one feature can do that.

I've seen there's an add-on being developed. I haven't tried it because, with only rare exceptions, I don't like to download add-ons that don't come directly from the MM site. And even from what I've seen, it only looks a tad easier than what I'm doing now. There was something really elegant about the simplicity of right-clicking and creating a CD without any interruption to my workflow. I really miss that.

I'm really hoping you guys will listen to the feedback and restore this lost feature. But at this point, I really would just like to know if you're even working on it, making progress, or if this is even on your list.

Looking forward to your reply. Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

loondawg

Post by loondawg »

Wanted to add. I did see there is an open "urgent" tracking item but I haven't seen any updates in a while.

https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19038
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

@Lowlander - Thanks. I don't know how I missed that. I will give it a try.

I am still hoping you to get some word about if there is going to be a real effort to restore this feature. I am growing to like MM5 more and more. And getting this one feature back would be a huge one in the plus column.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The 'Audio CD burning' feature is back in 5.0.4 ( https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=19038 )

Alpha debug build to test: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
simpsonjp

Post by simpsonjp »

I would very much like to have the option of burning CD's in MM5. Please add the feature back.
I've got MM4 loaded and I get an error every time I burn a CD in MM4. The CD will play but I
don't understand why I get an error message.

Thanks, Jeff
Peke

Post by Peke »

simpsonjp wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:26 pm I would very much like to have the option of burning CD's in MM5. Please add the feature back.
I've got MM4 loaded and I get an error every time I burn a CD in MM4. The CD will play but I
don't understand why I get an error message.

Thanks, Jeff
Can you please give us first hat error say?
FYI MM5 uses the same engine as MM4 so if you get error with MM4 then you should get same error with MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ForksForYou

Post by ForksForYou »

I'm here to register my interest in the continued support for burning CDs in MM5 and beyond. I recently bought two lifetime licenses of MediaMonkey on the assumption that making custom mixes was a core functionality. My intention in buying two subscriptions was to make CDs on two separate machines (would that have counted twice in the poll, I wonder). That MediaMonkey's excellent website did not state the capability explicitly was not concerning to me because it never crossed my mind that burning CDs would ever be discontinued. Imagine how dumb I felt when I spent over an hour thinking I was missing something when I couldn't proceed with making my first CD this evening.

It may be trendy to declare the end of optical media, but doing so erases part of the MM community. Companies continue manufacturing optical drives because there is still a market (see Tom's Hardware reporting on Pioneer making advancements in optical technology--I'm not allowed to post the hyperlink here but it was published March 1st, 2022). Whether its for archiving purposes or personal enjoyment, the flip side of ripping CD-quality music is inexorably making music CDs. Clearly streaming has seeped so profoundly into the zeitgeist that I need to check my assumptions moving forward. In the immortal words of the Seymour Smithers: "am I so out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong." I'm barely 30, by the way.

Thank you for the MM4 workaround. It's clunky but, coming from someone who would've otherwise asked for a refund, it works as a stopgap.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 5.0.4 will feature the ability to burn: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 86639&sd=d
darryl84

Post by darryl84 »

Thanks for the info. regarding CD Burning on MM5. Why upgrade from MM4 to MM5 if the software cannot execute the basic task of Burning CDs.
I paid for the upgrade from ver.4 to ver. 5 which seems like a waste of money for less functionality. I'm Burning CDs with ver. 4 for now and hope MM follows through on ver. 5.0.4
loondawg

Post by loondawg »

@Lowlander - Just upgraded and found you added CD burning back to MediaMonkey! Thank you so much for doing this.