Auto-Conversion allows you to:
- sync or burn any Track in your collection for any device by converting it to a format supported by your device on-the-fly
- convert tracks on-the-fly to lower bitrates to make more effective use of the limited storage capacity on a portable device or disc
- level the volume of synced tracks so that they play at a steady volume on any device (unneeded for iPods, but useful for most other devices as they don't support Replay Gain).
Whenever the device is Synchronized (or a disc burned), any tracks that match a set of auto-conversion rules specified by the user are converted on-the-fly and synced (or burned). If leveling is enabled, then:
- All tracks that are converted are levelled during the conversion process
- MP3 tracks are levelled using MP3 Gain style leveling (i.e. no loss in audio fidelity)
- For other tracks that don't need to be converted because they are in a format supported by the device, they are transcoded and leveled as follows:
- WMA --> WMA 128 kbps CBR
- OGG --> OGG Q4
- Other formats are encoded to the encoder defaults for the given format
- For other tracks that are in a format that isn't supported by the device, they are transcoded and leveled to MP3 128 kbps CBR
Note that any of these defaults can be overridden simply by adding a new conversion rule.