Difference between revisions of "How to convert MediaMonkey v2.5 skins in to v3.0 skins"
m (made it an internal link for the image)
m (How to Conver MediaMonkey v2.5 skins in to v3.0 skins moved to How to convert MediaMonkey v2.5 skins in to v3.0 skins: Typo)
Revision as of 21:45, 15 April 2007
If this has any missing data fill it in but please try and keep it simple to follow. This is not an easy task to follow for the newbies, and is best left to those that have been skinning for both versions. Or are skinners of several other skins and know what items and or steps might have been left out. or left for them to presume.
this is not a fast walk through this is how to convert media monkey 2 skins to use in media monkey 3. I presume that if your doing this you are already a skinner and know some things about this before you started it.
but I will say it in as best of a step by step manner that I am able to do anyway.
1.make a folder for your converted skin.
2.make this folders in side that folder. Floatplayer Icons MicroplayerH MicroplayerV Player Theme
3.now you need to get some files from the different skin's for this one converted one to work.
you need these files and images from the mm2 skin.
the shufrep.bmp the text.bmp the sdb_background_list.bmp the sdb_background_playing.bmp the sdb_background_tree.bmp the Main.bmp the Cbuttons.bmp Theme.mskn
those are all that is used by the mm3 skin if you convert the old skin
4. copy those files and paste them in to the folder you made in step 1
5. now copy the sdb_background_list.bmp the sdb_background_playing.bmp the theme.mskn
in to the folder you made for the theme.mskn file
6. now move the shufrep.bmp main.bmp cbuttons.bmp
in to the folder you made for the player.
now is the time to think about the size of the player. open the three you just changed in the photo editing program you use if you make the skin exactly like the player was in mm2 then you need to resize the images to fit larger screens. for the skin I re did I changed the height by adding 14 pixels to the old
winamp skin making it 150 pixels high this was done while telling the editing
program to keep the same ratio when making it larger. in doing it to that size the player is very useable in the 1024 x 768 pixel
screen size. but you must change all 3 images you moved in step 6 to the same ratio
other wise it wont look the same.
7.now to the mm 3 skins you have. go in to the folder for one of your mm 3 skin's theme.mskn files if you
unzipped the default skin and saved it in folders.?
all you need to do is copy the infopopup.bmp and the sel.png now go to the folder you made for your converted mm2 skin's theme file. that you made in step two and paste these images in there.
8.now go back to the mm3 skin's folder and go in to each folder in there and
copy all the images in those folders and paste them in to the other folders of the same name you made in step 2. and copy and paste any of the files you see in the mm3 folder in to the
folder you made in step one. all Except the theme folder and the theme.mskn you don't need this file of the mm3 skin.
9. now you should be finished with the files from the mm3 skin. so it is time to once again use the photo editing program. go in to the folder for the player of the skin your converting. now you will see all the image files in there. delete the background bmp from the mm 3 player and rename the main.bmp to the background.bmp
10. open the skin mini layout bmp in the photo editing program. you will see on there lots of images. they are placed in certain places for the exe to find. but not all of them. just the long thin player the mute button the volume slider
buttons and the seek thumb image, and the images for the audio visual
meters. and the star rating image. and the short player sides up in the top left hand corner. those are the only images on that skin layout map. if you are making the player fixed and not able to slide to a longer image. then you don't need that long thin player image. I would suggest not making it a resizable image if your converting the mm 2
skin you don't want it to resize.
so take your clone tool in the image or your paint over tool and clone or paint
the same pink background color over the images I did NOT mention.
2.5.5 player skin. on it there is two vertical audio visual meter images this is for horizontal
after you get all the images colored or cloned over with the pink background you then open the other images in the folder with your edit program. then you copy them in the edit program then paste them on to the skin mini
player layout image.
you now have a new map image save this and get out of the editor.
11.you now open the theme skinning engine. and open the player.mskn file now on the skinning engine you click on the plus sign by the word images. this shows you all the images in the player mskn file. you select each image and then press the replace button. then browse to the image in the folder you just changed and open the
changed image and click okay it will be placed in the theme mskn.
12.after that is all finished which is only 2 images it should only be the background.bmp and the mini skin layout.bmp that you need to replace. you now go to the plus sign by the word objects. there you need to find the place the images are used, and change the size of the background image client to fit the size you changed the main image
too. make sure you adjust the size of the left center and right image. you do that on the right hand side of the skinning engine where all the code is
at. look at the ones called height and width make sure they say the same
your player is. in height. and the width is half the size of the player. the size you should get when you changed the size to 150 height main image
would have been 355 pixels wide. so make the left and the right images sizes 175 pixels wide. this will leave 5
pixels for the center image to be.
13 now you got those numbers changed on the right you need to go back to
each one left center and right. and near the top of the code on the right you
will see the word bitmap select that word then click on the arrow that shows
up on the right of the word. this opens the image panel that you want to use for that frame. set the lines on the image to the same size you put in the
code area. do that for all 3 of the background images.
14. now do that for all the buttons you see. listed on that area. go through
and pick the button images you need to use on that skin. make sure Absolutely sure the numbers on the image panel match the
numbers in the code and match the size of the image if you are using the
whole image. mm 3 must have the numbers matching or it will have slight
errors and or major errors. if you have the main image 150 pixels high but you set the image in the panel to 151 pixels high mm 3 will crash when you try to use the skin. the one pixel either way error handling does not work or is voided in mm 3.
so make the number match. you might have to add in stop button and a pause button. you will need to
rename the playpause button to only " play " you will have to do the same in the ini files add in the stop and play, then
rename the play pause button there also or they wont be found by the mm 3.
if you want a close button you add that in too. you will have to make sure you have an image for the close button either add one in to the player mskn file or use one that is already there.
if you add the buttons which you will if you want a copy of the mm 2 skin. you need to make sure you use the 5 image button code. that you see on the play button..
when you pick the image for the focused buttons it is best to use the pink background on that one and or no image at all. this will allow the button to go back to the first image it showed.
15. save the player mskn file when you finish. and close the theme skin
engine. now in the folder for the player. you copy the mskn file and the
get out of the player folder. by going back to the folder you made in step
one. where you can see the other folders for the same skin your working on. find the one for the floatplayer go in to that folder and paste the images and
player mskn file in this floatplayer folder. now delete the float player mskn file that is in there. and rename the
player.mskn file you just pasted in the folder to floatplayer mskn you just
saved your self from repeating the steps you did in making the player file. by
doing this you made the float player the same as the main player.
16. now copy the floatplayer mskn file go back to the folder you were just in
where you can see all the other folders for the skin. and paste the
floatplayer.mskn file there. over write the one that is there if any. now go in
to the player folder and copy just the player mskn file and paste it in the same folder you just pasted the floatplayer one in and
over write any player mskn file that might be there..
17. now go in to the different micro players and change or adjust the images
on those. then copy their mskn file from inside their folders and paste them
in the main folder you posted the other player's mskn files in.
18. now open the player ini file change the player size to match the size you changed the main bmp too. and above that you see the option of resize. change that to read all 0's to
make it a fixed player if you are making it a fixed player. then save and close the player ini file.
19. now repeat step 18 for the floatplayer ini file.
20. go in to the icons folder you will see the png file in there. that is the no
album art image that shows when there is no album cover for the song
playing. change that to what you want to show if you want to change it at all.
21. now you go in to the theme folder and copy that theme.mskn file and paste it in the same main folder you just pasted the other player mskn
22.you are ready for testing the skin.
23.copy the icons folder. and all the ini and mskn files and all the images in that main folder.
24. go in to the program folder for mm3 in there go in to the skin folder in there make a new folder call it test. go in to that test folder and paste the files for your new skin.
25.now open the ini file for the player.
26. now start up media monkey 3 go to tools the options then go to the skins option on the panels tree and change the skin to the one called test. you will see the buttons and the skin and the fonts all do not match or line up. this is where you use the ini file and change the location / position and the
size of the buttons and text areas one at a time. the size needs to match the buttons here also. after you change one or two buttons save the player ini file. don't close it just save it. now change the player to either the micro
player or the float player. wait 5 seconds or so and restore the main player. you will see the buttons you change have now moved to the new positions and sizes. do this for all the buttons and text areas.
27. now you got them perfect then save the player ini file copy the text in the player ini file. now open the floatplayer ini file and select all the data in there
and paste the data you copied from the player ini file in to the floatplayer ini. then save the float player ini file you now saved the time and trouble of re typing the information in to the float player file.
save all ini's you have open. check out the player. go back and repeat any step and process you need to if you found an error that you need to fix that is only the errors on the player images.
I would not edit and save the theme file in this new skinning engine it might mess up the theme features of the mm 2 skin so don't fix any of them errors unless you still have the old version of the skinning engine then you can use it to fix the theme mskn files.
28. now when the skin is to your liking zip the files up including the icons folder. now go in to that zip file and remove any thumb.ini file that is not used by the player it is a file only your computer uses..
29. close out of the zip file and rename it with the name of your skin and the three letter extstion of ".msz" that will be the zipped file the monkey 3 uses.
your skin is complete. enjoy it.