Prepare the iPhone/iPod/iPad
If you have an iOS device like an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch you'll need to have iTunes installed. iTunes is available from the Apple website. Most other iPod devices don't require iTunes. An alternative to iTunes is CopyTrans Drivers which will only install the required iTunes components for syncing, however this isn't officially supported.
If you have iTunes installed you need to make sure it is not set to automatically sync your media to your device:
- Connect your device and run iTunes
- Click on your device in the iTunes tree and select the Summary tab
- Disable 'Open iTunes when this device is connected'
- Enable 'Manually manage music and videos'
- Select the 'Music' tab in iTunes
- Disable 'Sync Music'
- Enable 'Display Album Artwork on your iPod'
- On the Movies, TV Shows, and Podcasts tabs, disable the 'Sync Movies', 'Sync TV Shows', 'Sync Podcasts' options.
- Eject the iPod and close iTunes
Do not uninstall iTunes if you are using an iOS device like iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
Note: In some cases it may be necessary to delete existing content from the device by using the iTunes Updater to restore the device to its factory condition.
Preparing Your Files
Apple devices feature Sound Check which when enabled play your music files at the same volume. MediaMonkey supports Sound Check if your music files have a known Track Volume value. If they don't you can:
- Manually analyze the volume of music files in your Library using Tools > Analyze Volume
- Enable automatic volume analysis via Tools > Options > Volume Leveling > by enabling Automatically analyze volume of unanalyzed files
Configure the Device in MediaMonkey
- Start MediaMonkey and plug in the device
- Go to Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync, select your device (make sure that its checkbox is checked), and press 'Configure'. If your device doesn't show up in the list, try restarting MediaMonkey.
- In the Summary tab, you can leave the defaults as they are.
- Scan as soon as the device is connected will scan the media files on your device at the moment you connect it. Scanning will happen before Auto-Sync or when you browse the device if this option is disabled.
- Auto-Sync as soon as the device is connected will start the sync process immediately when the device is connected to your PC and MediaMonkey is running.
- In the Auto-sync Options tab, enable 'Delete Tracks that aren't on the Auto-sync List' and 'Confirm deletion' and enter \iPod_Control\Games_RO\ in the 'Except Folders' field. With these enabled, whenever you Auto-sync, you'll be given the option of deleting Audio tracks that aren't on the Auto-sync list, except for those that are used in iPod games.
- In the Auto-sync List tab, choose which Tracks to sync.
- In the Auto-Conversion tab, choose whether to convert Tracks to MP3 (note: 'Level volume' is not needed for iPods since MediaMonkey syncs Soundcheck values which the iPod uses to level volume).
Auto-Sync your Tracks
- Set the mode of the Synchronize button on the toolbar to 'Auto-Synchronize', and if multiple devices exist, choose your iPod using the small button adjacent to the Synchronize button.
- Connect your iPod to your PC and click theSynchronize button. After a bit of time, you should be asked whether to delete Tracks from the iPod. Go ahead and delete them (they'll be resynched from the PC).
Tracks will sync to the iPod per your configuration.
Manually Sync your Tracks
If you want to do a one-time manual sync of set of Tracks:
- Select a Playlist, AutoPlaylist or a group of tracks and drag them onto the Device node or onto the Device button.
Select the tracks you wish to sync and right-click Send to > iPod Device .
From the Now Playing Dialog, click Copy > Copy to Portable Device.
- Or, if you plan on always synchronizing in this manner, set the mode of the Synchronize button on the toolbar to 'Synchronize Selected'. Then Select a Playlist, AutoPlaylist, or group of Tracks and click the Synchronize button.
The selected Tracks and Playlists will sync to the iPod per per your configuration.
Disconnecting the iPod
MediaMonkey can be configured to automatically close the connection to the PC after synchronization. If this feature isn't enabled, then right-click on the iPod and click 'Safely Remove Device'.
|[[::WebHelp:iPod Synchronization/4.0|English]] • [[::WebHelp:iPod Synchronization/4.0/de|Deutsch]] • [[::WebHelp:iPod Synchronization/4.0/es|español]] • [[::WebHelp:iPod Synchronization/4.0/fr|français]]|