remember columns width

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tudor

remember columns width

Post by tudor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:36 am

Is there a way to make MM save columns' preferred width in the central frame of the software? For example I want to column 'path' to be much larger as it is by default. But everytime I restart to program, I have to widen this column again because default width is reseted by MM. Thank you very much for your help!

Lowlander

Re: remember columns width

Post by Lowlander » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:52 am

MediaMonkey does save the column widths. The case that it doesn't for you seems to indicate that the settings aren't saved when you exit MediaMonkey. This normally happens when MediaMonkey fails to shutdown correctly. You can verify this by exiting MediaMonkey and see if MediaMonkey.exe disappears from the Task Manager.

What version of MediaMonkey are you using (Help > About) and do you have any additional plug-ins or scripts installed?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

the earl

Post by the earl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Same thing happens for me. Just installed latest version on new computer - there was a way round it but I can't remember it or find the answer. Any ideas?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:35 pm

the earl wrote:Same thing happens for me. Just installed latest version on new computer - there was a way round it but I can't remember it or find the answer. Any ideas?
This normally happens when MediaMonkey fails to shutdown correctly. You can verify this by exiting MediaMonkey and see if MediaMonkey.exe disappears from the Task Manager.

What version of MediaMonkey are you using (Help > About) and do you have any additional plug-ins or scripts installed?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

the earl

Post by the earl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Using 3.0.7.1191. MediaMonkey.exe closes properly. Only have websearch panels installed. Like I said - had this problem before and there was an easy fix - something to do with how you close the program, just can't remember it. It's really bugging me...

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:53 pm

the earl wrote:Using 3.0.7.1191. MediaMonkey.exe closes properly. Only have websearch panels installed. Like I said - had this problem before and there was an easy fix - something to do with how you close the program, just can't remember it. It's really bugging me...
There shouldn't be anything special. It should be remembered once you close MM.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 am

Every time I start the program the columns are all squashed together again. It never remembers how I set them.

the earl

Post by the earl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:15 pm

Guest wrote:Every time I start the program the columns are all squashed together again. It never remembers how I set them.
Exactly - is there any way to stop this? Please??

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I wonder if column widths are saved in the MediaMonkey.ini or registry?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

Registry... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MediaMonkey\Interface\ListViews\SongList\V3\

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Do you also know when the registry is updated (on change or on exit)?

MMan

Post by MMan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:13 pm

the earl wrote:Using 3.0.7.1191. MediaMonkey.exe closes properly. Only have websearch panels installed. Like I said - had this problem before and there was an easy fix - something to do with how you close the program, just can't remember it. It's really bugging me...
I was playing around with this and I think I know what the earl was getting at. Very buggy issue which hopefully can be fixed in next version. If I make a change to the column widths while in "Show Details" view and close Monkey, that change (in "Show Details" view) will be preserved when I re-open Monkey. However, if I am in "Show Album Art with details" view and I make a change to the column width then close, the change (in Show Album Art with details" view) is not preserved when I re-open. Here's the buggy part - if I make a change to the column width in the "Show Album Art with details" view and then switch to the "Show Details" view for even a second and then close (even if I close from "Show Album Art with details" view), the change to the "Show Album Art with details" view is preserved. It seems that changes to the "Show Album Art with details" view only get preserved if you exit that view. It seems to work if you go to "Show Album Art" or "Show Details", you just need to leave the "Show Album Art with details" view before your exit Monkey for the changes to be preserved. See if this works for you guys. If it does, I will report it as a Bug, because I can't imagine that is is intended. Good Luck!

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Lowlander wrote:Do you also know when the registry is updated (on change or on exit)?
On exit.

the earl

Post by the earl » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm

Yes MMan that's it!! You are the man! I had the same prob with an earlier version and this was the fix I couldn't remember.
Now I've got it all back how it should be. Once you close it out of "Show Album Art with Details" it remembers your columns every time from then on. Does this count as a bug?
Thanks to all of you for your help and interest - now I can get back to the music :D

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:39 pm

That definitely sounds like a bug. I'll try to reproduce it -- and thanks for pointing it out.