Sync to local directory?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

sugi

Sync to local directory?

Post by sugi »

Hello,

I want to sync my music collection (D:\Music, mainly flac)) to a local directory (D:\MP3), so I can use Unison to transfer these files to my server.
The only thing close enough seems to be the generic plugin, but I couldn't find a way to add a new instance of this plugin and configure it accordingly.
How can I add another instance?

Regards
sugi
nohitter151

Re: Sync to local directory?

Post by nohitter151 »

You can use the USB_mass plugin to sync to any drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGE4OugQMIA&fmt=22

If you don't have a real external drive to sync to you can fake one in Windows by creating a SUBST drive (assign a new drive letter to any folder).

Go to Start -> Accessories -> Command prompt, then type:

SUBST Q: D:\MP3

Where Q: is the drive you create and D:\MP3 is any path on your hard drive

If you later want to remove the fake drive, go back to command prompt and type:

SUBST Q: /d
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Just use my old plugin and you are set http://mmfanbox.x10host.com/virtualcd.html
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sugi

Post by sugi »

Thanks for the replies. I've already tried to subst a new drive letter, but had no luck.
The new drive letter just does not show up as a device in MediaMonkey (just under the My Computer node) and I have no idea how to add a new instance of the d_USBMass1.dll to the list of devices. I still need the one I have already in there, as it points to my normal MP3 player.

Update: Found a solution, I copied the d_USBMass1.dll to d_USBMass2.dll and then had another entry in the devices list I was able to modify as needed.
turhankk

Post by turhankk »

Could you elaborate on how you solved the problem. I make a copy of d_USBMass1.dll to d_USBMass2.dll. Then, in Mediamonkey I have usbmass2 listed as a new driver. I go to 'configure', then 'device configuration' tab, assign the drive letter that I subst'ed my folder (Q), and I get the message 'No device found'. I try deleting the usbmass2.dll, restart mediamonkey, do the same configuration on usbmass1.dll, and still no luck.

Drive Q can be reached from windows explorer...

Any help?
Thanks.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

turhankk wrote:Could you elaborate on how you solved the problem. I make a copy of d_USBMass1.dll to d_USBMass2.dll. Then, in Mediamonkey I have usbmass2 listed as a new driver. I go to 'configure', then 'device configuration' tab, assign the drive letter that I subst'ed my folder (Q),
FWIW, that works here - Win7 Pro 64-bit, MM build 1511.
turhankk wrote:and I get the message 'No device found'.Thanks.
At what point precisely do you get that message?
Chris
activeguy

Post by activeguy »

turhankk wrote:Could you elaborate on how you solved the problem. I make a copy of d_USBMass1.dll to d_USBMass2.dll. Then, in Mediamonkey I have usbmass2 listed as a new driver. I go to 'configure', then 'device configuration' tab, assign the drive letter that I subst'ed my folder (Q), and I get the message 'No device found".
The folder must be a local folder. It cannot be a network share folder.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

activeguy wrote:The folder must be a local folder. It cannot be a network share folder.
If it is mapped to a drive letter there should be no problem.