Need some answers…

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

jackpots

Need some answers…

Post by jackpots »

Hopefully someone can set me straight on whether MMA can do the following. Thanks in advance.

Here are some givens:
• All my music is completely on an SD card, only.
• The files are primarily MP3 & FLAC, with albums in folders and cover art as folder.jpg or png. Art are not in each file.
• All MP3 files are loaded with tags as per ID3v2.3 standard (strict) have many have multiple artists and multiple genre.
• All files have ratings (5 star based) set for Winamp, Windows Media Player and MediaMonkey .

1) Can MMA use folder.xxx or similar as album art? (PlayerPro has a similar setting for naming format of album art file.)

2) It appears that MMA needs to use "its own database" to have the feature-set I require. Can it be set in that mode without the need of/for other device/computer?

3) Does MMA support multiple-genre or multiple-artists? If so, how may I achieve that function? (Currently I only see the first genre, nul delimited.)

4) If a rating is modified, can the change be written to the audio file?
Lowlander

Re: Need some answers…

Post by Lowlander »

If you didn't use MMW to sync directly to your device with MMA you're limited by the capabilities of the Android Media Scanner as MMA currently doesn't have its own scanner. MMA can't write to files.

It is recommended to use MMW > MMA sync as this will have MMW write directly to the MMA database and this includes Rating, multi-value tags and Artwork. It would also allow MMA to sync changes back to MMW at which point they can be written to the files.
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Lowlander wrote:If you didn't use MMW to sync directly to your device with MMA you're limited by the capabilities of the Android Media Scanner as MMA currently doesn't have its own scanner. MMA can't write to files.

It is recommended to use MMW > MMA sync as this will have MMW write directly to the MMA database and this includes Rating, multi-value tags and Artwork. It would also allow MMA to sync changes back to MMW at which point they can be written to the files.
Thank you (even if it was bearing bad-news).

I think MMA may not fit my environment then since I have only 1 library of media files (the SD card). I have no intention to purchase another 120GB card or waste the same in space on a PC in order to copy the same files back to Android. What a tangled web.

I guess I am now stuck between PlayerPro (which has no support for multiple genre/artist but excellent in every other way), foobar (still a little beta-ish), or Poweramp (a few quirks and slow development).

Again, thanks. I hope the dev here utilizes its own db by default. There is no advantage otherwise.
rusty

Post by rusty »

We plan to add a built in scanning/tagging engine to MMA. Stay tuned...

-Rusty
jackpots

Post by jackpots »

Thanks.
Based on your response, I will look forward to such changes in the short term.

Creating an advantage is always a good thing.

To reiterate or rephrase, I have decades of music (mp3>flac) in 100s of full albums, tediously curated info in ID3v2.3 tags and all on one (1) SD card.
All the tracks are 5-star based rated which I would like to use (user view; smart playlist) and change (user).
All albums have cover-art as individual files (folder.*) in its enclosed folder.
Most tracks have multiple genre (since no one implements sub-genre as the ID3v2 spec suggests) which I would like to view (browse track in either genre).
I usually listen to music: genre > primary artist > album, and with smart-playlist, would like: genre > year range > rating range.
Now if all users use year as "recording" instead of "published" so devs can implement the year-tags as the spec, I will find Nirvana.

Again, thanks for your time and efforts.