Media Monkey is v. close to being the best DLNA server

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ginjaninja

DLNA Renderer Profile Customisation

Post by ginjaninja »

Is renderer profile customisation possible in mediamonkey?
i cant find any config files in appdata or program files..and nothing on the wiki.

i need to set
mime type for FLAC to audio/x-flac.
mime type for MKV video/x-matroska.

thank you
ginjaninja

Media Monkey is v. close to being the best DLNA server

Post by ginjaninja »

I have have tested every DLNA server going and none of them are perfect but MediaMonkey's dlna implementation is the closest.

My Environment
20TB Music, Tv and Movie collection with separately maintain local metadata contained within the the file structure / filenames (its Media Browser FWIW)
Samsung UN46ES7000 TV.

My Needs
Proper track order on Music (on fussy renderers) - Media Monkey allows customisation of dc:title
TV Show / Movies differentiation (place in different folders/views/structures)- Media Monkey i think will do this i just need to work it out.
Recently added TV Shows (based on file attributes or library ingestion) (ideally grouped by show)
Recently added Movies (based on file attributes or library ingestion)
User Manipulation of the Folder structure and views presented to the renderer - not sure yet if MM can do this, - MM seems to effortlessly provide something close to this already (re library manipulation) - 'recently added' would be a good example of useful 'view'.
Another user Manipulation 'Container Categorisation' eg. if members > X then split on Y. Eg if number of Albumartists > 100 then split/group on first letter of album artist...All the A's....All the B's.
Renderer profile customisation ie Mime Types for renderer compatability.
High resolution albumart on upnp:AlbumArtURI - not yet.
Podcast seeking - MM supports this as it downloads the podcasts rather than just streaming them.

What i dont want
Massive indexing of my library with internet searches for metadata (when the metadata already local), providing metadata that DLNA can never use - MM stands alone in doing this well, it can be configured in a very lightweight mode, with the fastest library scans. One other server which shall remain nameless created a 50GB index of my library - pointless for DLNA in any case.

So i would encourage MM developers to play to some of these strengths above.
Transcoding will become less relevant as renderer compatibility improves (my TV will play everything natively) and mobile bandwidth increases.
I think library tagging and view management capabilities is where the 'gap in the market' is for DLNA.

Thanks very much for a great product.
Last edited by ginjaninja on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Media Monkey is v. close to being the best DLNA server

Post by Lowlander »

1)
ginjaninja wrote:Proper track order on Music
This depends on sort order in Library
2)
ginjaninja wrote:TV Show / Movies differentiation
Use Collections to do this
3)
ginjaninja wrote:Recently added TV Shows
Use an Auto-Playlist
4)
ginjaninja wrote:Recently added Movies
Use an Auto-Playlist
5)
ginjaninja wrote:User Manipulation of the Folder structure and views
Modify Collection settings (File > Manage Collections) and already requested: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8740
6)
ginjaninja wrote:Another user Manipulation
MagicNodes, not yet possible: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9264
7)
ginjaninja wrote:Renderer profile customisation
Already requested: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8272
8 )
ginjaninja wrote:High resolution albumart
Is that possible with DLNA standards?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
ginjaninja

Post by ginjaninja »

Lowlander wrote:
ginjaninja wrote:High resolution albumart
Is that possible with DLNA standards?
thanks for all the advice, will try all the suggestions....even closer than i thought.

I dont know whether its part of a 'dlna standard' but other DLNA servers provide high resolution albumart through
upnp:albumarturi
The above server is a bad example in that it provides the property but not a different value. PS3media sever(eg)would have a high resolution image against albumarturi

and use upnp:icon for a 160x160 image.

it greatly improves the aesthetics on the renderer.
Other servers specify 'a max resolution' for upnp:albumarturi, presumably because some renderers can not support the highest resolutions.

The link mentions that per renderer profile configuration is not possible, (and implies per system profile configuration is)...is this the case, i would love to get my flacs working?
Last edited by ginjaninja on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ginjaninja

Post by ginjaninja »

Thank you for considering the request.
I dont know if this is 'greedy' to submit another request.. but for those requests for ways of managing folder views re: contents , sub divisions etc, i would add that it would be good to have a feature whereby the tags could be directly amended by the view. (or something similar that fits in with MM's design philosophy)

Take the example of a 'recently added' view.
DLNA renderers and their servers often struggle to provide universally workable sort order.
an auto list of recently added would be useful, but the renderer will often show the titles in alphanumeric order. (even if a date tag can be communicated to the renderer).
If MM could prefix 01. to the most recent file's dc:title, 02 to the next...ie MM's understanding of the order would be 'forcibly' communicated to all renderers that don't behave well and just sort alphanumerically.
Last edited by ginjaninja on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ginjaninja

Post by ginjaninja »

That feature request is spot on (IMO) in defining a key opportunity to improve DLNA functionality, mapping library tags to dlna tags and folder hierarchy.
I see what you mean....use library tag for position '#' in a alphanumeric autoplay list, map 'library position tag' as a prefix into the dlna dc:title tag, then yes it is the same request.

ty.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I presume that any implementation would be global to the Media Server, ie. if you'd set <Title> as <#> - <Title> it would be for all shared content in that Media Server as otherwise it would get overly complex to setup.
ginjaninja

Post by ginjaninja »

Lowlander wrote:I presume that any implementation would be global to the Media Server, ie. if you'd set <Title> as <#> - <Title> it would be for all shared content in that Media Server as otherwise it would get overly complex to setup.
I think the intention of the feature request is to be more granular than that.
Ie have a way of using the tags to define the views you want in the folder hierarchy you want, where you want them.
that said some constraints to aid coding simplicity are workable I believe.

The use cases,and views I can think of that are personally usefull to me as DLNA user are:

Track/File Sort Order
Perhaps dynamic mapping of library to upnp tags could provide for all use cases, without need for granular configuration.
For audio views with content from only 1 album prefix dc:title with %track number%. ie '%tacknumber%. %tracktitle%'.
For audio views with content from more than 1 album prefix dc:title with %Album% - %Tracknumber%.
For audio views with content from more than 1 artist prefix dc:title with %artist% - %album% - %track number%.
For TV views with episodes in a single show/season prefix dc:title with 'Episode Number' - Title
all the way to TV views with episodes from multiple shows prefix dc:title with %Series% - %Season% - %Episode%.

Useful For/When
(this is useful for all users whose renderer doesn't sort track number (of which there are many).

Recent Lists and tag mapping
Whenever a folder of the type 'recent list' is being shown, prefix objects with MM's understanding of 'most recent' through numbered prefix.
This prefix sort tagging would be updated by MM as more recent items were added to the library. (and thus be reflected on the renderer as it refreshed its view of the recent list).

Useful For/When
Users want to see recent TV / Music / Podcasts that have been added to the library rather than browse a filesystem folder hierarchy.
It wouldnt be a big constraint if Recent Podcasts, Recent TV Shows, Recent Movies had to be separate objects to ease coding.

Example detail

Folder hierarchy/groupings
There is a more fundamental requirement just to define the folder hierachy, that is browsed through dlna to help structure and find desired content.
It might help for MM to have the concept of a video file being a TVSHOW or A Movie.
Allowing the user to define say up to 5 levels/groupings for a view in a collection.
Eg for TV
Level 1 - {Series}
Level 2 - {Seasons} in show
Level 3 - {Titles} in season

or
Eg for Movies
Level 1 - {Genres}
Level 2 - {Years} in genre
Level 3 - {Titles} in year

For the TV example
I would like to define dc:Title as {EpisodeNumber}-{Title} to ensure sort order again.
So perhaps for a given section of the collection, the ability to define the library- upnp tag mappings for the section would suffice.
otherwise the constraint that tag mappings were defined at the collection level would work (users might have to have separate tv and movies collections to get meaningful views)

Useful For/When
TV would be good to browse by Series, Seasons, Episodes (but episode titles need to be in sort order).
Movies might be good to organise by Genre then Title...or another user might want Genre, then Year, then Title

Subdivison of Folder hierachy
For each point in the hierachy, the option to define subdivision when necessary would be very useful.
Showing all movies which contains 1500 objects is not useful.
In the example of a folder 'All Movies', where there is only 1 grouping level presented as say '{title} {year}' with 1500 movies.
It would be useful to split the view into 'Titles beginning Numbers, Titles beginning A, Titles Beginning B....'
If too complex to configure subdivision 'per level of hierachy' or 'per collection', then a system wide setting to subdivide 'the hierarchy - levels' with more than X objects would be great.
MM seems to already do this for eg Entire Library - Title.

so I guess its a balance between user bang for buck of coding and workability in terms of user interface.
Subdivision algorithms could be system wide.
Library to Upnp tag mappings i think have to be per collection (at worst) or perhaps dynamic based on rules.
but could be hard coded just for particularly useful dlna views , recent tv, recent movies, recent podcasts.