Syncing the Creative Zen

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

thejoker95
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:35 am

Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by thejoker95 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:46 am

So I'm just posting this for those who have trouble like I did with the syncing. I was having a lot of trouble getting my Zen to sync back with media monkey. I did lot's and lot's of searching on this site and couldn't find an answer. Specifically I could not get my ratings and playcount from the zen to media monkey. messing around with the sync options I found that as long as nothing was check marked in the playlist section it would put the ratings and playcount from my zen to MM. Now looking back this seems really simple but i didn't find anything like this in the documentation or in the forums. Hope this will be of help to some other MM newbie.

nynaevelan
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by nynaevelan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:10 am

While I am glad you found a solution to your syncing problem, I disagree with you. I have the playlist option selected, in fact I sync over 100 playlists to both my Zens, and my play counts and ratings are syncing synonomously on both my Zen's. The only trouble I've had with getting my settings correct is to ensure MM is syncing music to the \Music\ directory and playlists to the \My Playlists\ directory, which is not it's default to do.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

chrisjj
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by chrisjj » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 pm

> I have the playlist option selected, ...
> and my play counts and ratings are syncing synonomously on both my Zen's.

Same here... except that they get lost/muddled if there have been changes to the track's library entries since the last sync. It seems MM can do library> device or device<library but gets messed up if the sync needs both.
Chris

nynaevelan
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by nynaevelan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:48 pm

chrisjj wrote:> I have the playlist option selected, ...
> and my play counts and ratings are syncing synonomously on both my Zen's.

Same here... except that they get lost/muddled if there have been changes to the track's library entries since the last sync. It seems MM can do library> device or device<library but gets messed up if the sync needs both.
Chris:

What do you mean muddled??
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

chrisjj
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by chrisjj » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:36 pm

> What do you mean muddled??

Today I took a device on which some ratings had been changed, and auto-synced it from the library in which four tracks' ratings had subsequently changed. On completion, the library showed two of these tracks' ratings having library values - correct - and two having device values - incorrect.

This was an incremental auto-sync. Because such is known to cause device corruption here, perhaps this ratings issue is device corruption being synced back to the library. So I've deferred reporting the ratings issue until after testing the incremental sync corruption fix.
Chris

nynaevelan
Posts: 5559
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:07 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Contact:

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by nynaevelan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Thanks for the explanation, I haven't seen this one because I do not change ratings on the player.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

chrisjj
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm
Location: UK

Re: Syncing the Creative Zen

Post by chrisjj » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:31 am

>I haven't seen this one because I do not change ratings on the player.

Nor do I - intentionally! :)
Chris

Post Reply