Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Rednroll

Re: Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Post by Rednroll »

nohitter151 wrote:
Rednroll wrote:....I don't need a playlist in MM that will play songs from my iPod when my iPod is connected to my PC.
Huh? That's not what I'm saying at all. You manage your music library on a computer, including playlists. You then copy these playlists (and the accompanying music files) to the iPod, so that you have your library on the iPod and can listen to it from there.
Yeah, I appreciate the help. But, as someone else mentioned earlier, what happens when you use a single song in multiple playlists? How do you manage that?

So currently I have all my songs on a Hard drive on my PC. I select the ones I want to move over to my iPod. Once those songs are on the iPod then I want to create multiple playlists and many of those playlists will contain the same song. Does this copy method still work, or does it mess up the previous playlists that where created which may over write an identical song? Or does it create duplicates of the same song on the iPod?

This post pretty much summarizes my current frustrations:
CoolHandZeke wrote:
For the life of me, I can't figure out how to create multiple playlists for the iPod WITHOUT duplicating the songs!!! Extremely frustrating.

And I thought that if I were to simply put all the songs on the iPod using MM, that I could simply click on the iPod (while in MM) and add new playlists RIGHT THERE. But MM doesn't allow that option.

Simply put, how can I create multiple playlists in MM intended for the iPod, but do NOT duplicate the songs that pop up in different playlists??? Doest that make sense?

Please help. :(
I think, I may have found my solution that seems to be working the best for me. I just downloaded "Yamipod" and this seems to do exactly what I need it to do with playlists as well as allowing me to drag and drop songs from windows explorer to the iPod. This doesn't have the downfall of Sharepod that I mentioned earlier, because Yamipod will group songs by Artist and Album, so you don't have to sort through your entire music library to add a song to a playlist.

http://www.yamipod.com/main/modules/home/

I think, I'll just use MM for my ID3 Tag editor for music files that are on my PC, because it does a great job at this with it's auto-tag feature. It's managing of songs that are already on the iPod and iPod playlist creation and editing is something I'm struggling with currently when using MM. Hopefully, that stuff will improve in the future.

I'm kind of curious how this copy method would work, if I decided to remove one song from the playlist? So for example, if I have a playlist of 600 songs like I currently do, and I wanted to remove just one song from the playlist, then does that mean that the other 599 songs would need to get copied over to the iPod again??? Or can I just edit the playlist that is on the iPod within MM??? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, I'm kind of new to MM and things have been a little confusing when working with music files and playlist that are currently on the iPod so far.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Rednroll wrote:
Yeah, I appreciate the help. But, as someone else mentioned earlier, what happens when you use a single song in multiple playlists? How do you manage that?
MM takes care of all of that for you, just set up which playlists you want copied to the device using autosync. See http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... file_Setup
So currently I have all my songs on a Hard drive on my PC. I select the ones I want to move over to my iPod. Once those songs are on the iPod then I want to create multiple playlists and many of those playlists will contain the same song. Does this copy method still work, or does it mess up the previous playlists that where created which may over write an identical song? Or does it create duplicates of the same song on the iPod?
Of course not, why would MM create duplicates? The sync funtionality would be totally useless if it did that. Just set up your device profile and use auto-sync.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... file_Setup
I'm kind of curious how this copy method would work, if I decided to remove one song from the playlist? So for example, if I have a playlist of 600 songs like I currently do, and I wanted to remove just one song from the playlist, then does that mean that the other 599 songs would need to get copied over to the iPod again??? Or can I just edit the playlist that is on the iPod within MM??? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, I'm kind of new to MM and things have been a little confusing when working with music files and playlist that are currently on the iPod so far.
Its very simple. You manage all of your music and playlists on your computer, NOT ON THE IPOD. Then, when you make changes to playlists or tracks on the computer, MM compares what is on the computer to what is on the iPod, and only changes the things that have changed, but leaves things that are unchanged as they are.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nataku

Post by nataku »

ts very simple. You manage all of your music and playlists on your computer, NOT ON THE IPOD. Then, when you make changes to playlists or tracks on the computer, MM compares what is on the computer to what is on the iPod, and only changes the things that have changed, but leaves things that are unchanged as they are.
Actually its not that simple. Why is it that when I add songs to a playlist on the pc then send it to the ipod, it resends EVERY song on the playlist. It doesn't make duplicates but it goes through the motions and takes hours.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Why is it that when I add songs to a playlist on the pc then send it to the ipod, it resends EVERY song on the playlist.
> It doesn't make duplicates but it goes through the motions and takes hours.

Perhaps the orignal copies of the track were not sent by MM. In which case MM doesn't know not to send them.
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nataku wrote:
ts very simple. You manage all of your music and playlists on your computer, NOT ON THE IPOD. Then, when you make changes to playlists or tracks on the computer, MM compares what is on the computer to what is on the iPod, and only changes the things that have changed, but leaves things that are unchanged as they are.
Actually its not that simple. Why is it that when I add songs to a playlist on the pc then send it to the ipod, it resends EVERY song on the playlist. It doesn't make duplicates but it goes through the motions and takes hours.
Because you are not using auto-sync, rather just selecting to copy all of those tracks.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Because you are not using auto-sync, rather just selecting to copy all of those tracks.

Good point - "Sync" doesn't sync, rather blindly copies. Only Auto-sync syncs.
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

chrisjj wrote:> Because you are not using auto-sync, rather just selecting to copy all of those tracks.

Good point - "Sync" doesn't sync, rather blindly copies. Only Auto-sync syncs.
Yes, either the terminology should be changed or the behavior should change so that an actual sync takes place between the selected tracks. I think this has confused just about everyone who has ever used MM at one point or another.

nataku

Post by nataku »

Ok. Lets do a dry run so someone can show me what I'm doing wrong.

First off, auto sync is checked.
Lets say I add a song to a playlist. What I do is right click on that playlist in the tree. then click on send to, then ipod. What should I be doing?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> First off, auto sync is checked.

I think that does nothing except determine the effect of the Sync Device command, being the command issued by the "Send to portable device" button on the standard toolbar and the Click Tools, Sync Device, Sync Device (sic) menu item.

> Lets say I add a song to a playlist. What I do is right click on that playlist in the tree. then click on send to, then ipod. What should I be doing?

1) Click Tools, Options, Portable/audio devices, Configure
2) Set up auto-sync inc. checkmarking your playlist
3) Ensure Tools, Sync Device, Auto-synchronise is ticked
4) Click Tools, Sync Device, Sync Device (sic)
Chris
frustratedmmuser

Post by frustratedmmuser »

Its August 2009. MM still has no support for iPods + playlists.

FAIL.

Just sayin...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

frustratedmmuser wrote:Its August 2009. MM still has no support for iPods + playlists.

FAIL.

Just sayin...
It has support. It can copy playlists to an iPod, so I'm missing your point.

playlist maker

Post by playlist maker »

chrisjj wrote:> First off, auto sync is checked.

I think that does nothing except determine the effect of the Sync Device command, being the command issued by the "Send to portable device" button on the standard toolbar and the Click Tools, Sync Device, Sync Device (sic) menu item.

> Lets say I add a song to a playlist. What I do is right click on that playlist in the tree. then click on send to, then ipod. What should I be doing?

1) Click Tools, Options, Portable/audio devices, Configure
2) Set up auto-sync inc. checkmarking your playlist
3) Ensure Tools, Sync Device, Auto-synchronise is ticked
4) Click Tools, Sync Device, Sync Device (sic)
I followed these instructions exactly, and it still put duplicates on my Ipod. Well, they weren't all duplicates. Some of them didn't make it in the playlist at all; I got an error message for those.
Mucka

Post by Mucka »

anon wrote:I see that MMs lack of ipod playlist functionality has been a known issue since March of 2007. It is now January of 2009, and still no progress?
January 2010 and counting
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Mucka wrote:
anon wrote:I see that MMs lack of ipod playlist functionality has been a known issue since March of 2007. It is now January of 2009, and still no progress?
January 2010 and counting
Playlist support for the iPod is fine in MM. You just have to do it the right way.

Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

I have no problem syncing playlists to my iPod. It's the actual method of working with them is where things need to be improved IMHO.

For those of you having problems putting a Playlist on to your iPod from MM, here's the basic steps.

1. Create the Playlist in MM.
2. select the songs from your Library node to add to the playlist....these should be songs located on your PC.
3. Go into your iPod "Configuration" within MM.
4. Click the "Playlists" tab. You will see a list of all your playlists.
5. You need to put a check in the box of the Playlists you want to send/sync to your iPod.

That's actually a pretty cool feature, in that you can chose which Playlists get sent your iPod, thus a selective sync method....but if you don't do steps 3-5, no playlist will be sent to your iPod.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, you can see I was a bit confused on how this worked before. Now that I have it figured out, it works pretty good. :D