Where Do I Find Filters In MediaMonkey 4?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Where Do I Find Filters In MediaMonkey 4?

Post by Lowlander »

MM3 Filters are MM 4 Collections
MM3 Auto-Playlists are MM 4 Auto-Playlists

The way things are setup hasn't changed either, ie. a Collection can be setup the same way a Filter was setup. The only difference is that in MM3 you only had the Library node and that a Filter could filter the Library node. In MM 4 the Library node no longer exists and is replaced by Collection nodes. This means you can have several Collection nodes (several Filtered MM3 Library nodes) visible at the same time.

You can create Collections in MM4 the same way Filters were created in MM3 so it seems it's a case of remembering how you initially setup things in MM3.
Anamon

Post by Anamon »

Lowlander wrote:You can create Collections in MM4 the same way Filters were created in MM3 so it seems it's a case of remembering how you initially setup things in MM3.
Exactly right. The collections = filters is what I assumed, considering how the dialogues are laid out. The problem seems to be that it is a very long time since I created my original MM3 setup, and that I don't have it anymore, so I'm probably confusing a lot of MM3 and MM4 stuff. My best guess is that what I called "collections" in my previous post was in fact not native MM3 after all, but done in Magic Nodes. The only thing I remember for sure is that I had filters for "Full albums only" etc. and I could apply this to what in my mind was a pre-filtered collection.

So in the end, the original question of the thread has been answered, and my issue is more of a feature request: being able to apply multiple filters to the library at the same time, which of course is less straight-forward now that filters have become collections. However, I have already re-implemented my system with MagicNodes, so I'm happy.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anamon wrote:No, what I described is in fact impossible to do with auto-playlists, because they are collection-independent. I think I simply got a bit confused with the terminology of media types/collections/filters. I am also no longer 100% sure how I did this in MM3, or if I maybe hacked something together there.
Any filter in MM3 could be implemented as an autoplaylist in MM4.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

In MM3 you could right-click the Library node, then the filters were listed in a sub-menu from there. So you could right-click filter on, right-click filter off.

I see what you all mean about using filters as auto-playlists and that is true. But I always felt it was easier to right-click on/off the library node than changing back and forward to the playlist node.

All good, I guess I'll just change the way I use my filters/collections/auto=playlists. Luckily, you can actually teach an old dog new tricks and I'm sure I'll get used to the new method.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

kiwichick wrote:In MM3 you could right-click the Library node, then the filters were listed in a sub-menu from there. So you could right-click filter on, right-click filter off.
It would be nice to actually have this feature back, it would make switching collections much more user friendly, especially for those collections which are not visible in the tree.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Anamon

Post by Anamon »

nohitter151 wrote:
Anamon wrote:No, what I described is in fact impossible to do with auto-playlists, because they are collection-independent. I think I simply got a bit confused with the terminology of media types/collections/filters. I am also no longer 100% sure how I did this in MM3, or if I maybe hacked something together there.
Any filter in MM3 could be implemented as an autoplaylist in MM4.
That is only correct insofar as you have the same power of expressing your filtering conditions, but not the way you browse them. Auto-playlists are always, well, playlists, and as such flat. Correct is: any filter in MM3 could be implemented as a collection in MM4, because you can have sub-nodes in the tree for collections. This was in fact what my confusion was based on.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

nynaevelan, Thank you very much!!! Exactly my point!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can create Collections the same way Filters were created, there's no need to use AutoPlaylists instead. The only difference between MM3 and MM4 is that in MM3 only one Filter was visible and in MM4 you can have multiple Collections visible. If you choose to hide Collections you have a few extra steps as you need to disable/enable them under Tools > Options > Media Tree instead of a simple right click to select a different Filter.
rusty

Post by rusty »

I suppose that just as Search can search the current Filelist, the Entire Library, or the current Collection, there should be a means of applying AutoPlaylists to the current Filelist, the Entire Library, or the current Collection.

For now, would it be possible to use the column browser to achieve this objective? e.g.
Collections: Full albums, Limited editions, Artists Seen live
Column browser: Quality

-Rusty
zephyr

Post by zephyr »

hey everyone, just read this while continuing to compare MM3 and MM4, in preparation for migration.

I did not know that filters could be so easily applied (right-click on node) until now... awesome!

I also hadn't tried auto-playlists until now, but found it's a good way to do what I want (inc. making a last.fm playlist from a BIG library, then using an auto-playlist to filter only available tracks... is this the way to do it? tips welcome!

If I want to see only available tracks in a playlist, what is the best/easiest way to do this in MM3 + MM4?

Many thanks
Grateful noob
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Status = is accessible as AutoPlaylist criteria, works same in both MM's.