Lyrics function in MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rrfpacker

Lyrics function in MM

Post by rrfpacker »

I started using the lyrics "finder" in MM after upgrading to 4.1 when it was available. It worked fine for a while but for the last two weeks I either get lyric with AD at the beginning or incomplete lyrics. Incomplete meaning maybe four lines.

Anyone else with this experience?
Lowlander

Re: Lyrics function in MM

Post by Lowlander »

Are you using 4.1.0.1692 or newer? It was a problem (affecting Lyrics Addons as well) in an older beta version of MediaMonkey 4.1.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Lowlander wrote:Are you using 4.1.0.1692 or newer? It was a problem (affecting Lyrics Addons as well) in an older beta version of MediaMonkey 4.1.
Using 4.1.0.1664. Thanks for the update. I'll wait until beta testing is done and update.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Beta testing is done, MediaMonkey 4.1 has been out for a few weeks. Current beta is for MediaMonkey 4.1.1.
Ignotus

Post by Ignotus »

I am having a small issue with the inbuilt lyrics tab on the properties window in MM 4.1.0.1692. I don't know if it's a bug or not. I do have and use Lyricator 1.2.1.1, but for this one particular album, it wasn't grabbing the correct lyrics. It's a live album, which is probably why the lyrics were not "exactly" correct. Lyrics.wikia.com has the live album in their DB, but it still wants to pull the lyrics from the studio versions of the songs when I use Lyricator. I am not using the lookup lyrics button on the lyrics tab in MM because it also pulls the studio lyrics.

Anyway, because it won't automatically pull and attach the correct lyrics, I decided to do it manually by copy/pasting from lyrics.wikia.com and then listening to the songs and making adjustments manually. I'm doing this by pasting the lyrics into the "lyrics" tab of the properties dialog box. I find the song in the MM browser list or whatever it's called, then right-click the song and choose properties. Then I click the lyrics tab. I paste the lyrics into the tab, then listen and make adjustments. If I click on OK at the bottom, it appears to work correctly and saves the lyrics to the tag. However, if I push the arrow pointing to the right at the bottom of the window, which says update and next song, the lyrics do not save properly. The first song may have saved OK, but the subsequent songs aren't saving correctly using the arrow. The lyrics are showing as expected in MM, but they do not show in Windows Media Player nor do they show in the tag in the mp3tag (mp3tag.de/en) software. If I do them one at a time and hit OK, the lyrics show in WMP and in mp3tag. I don't know if MM is saving the lyrics in a DB instead of the tag when you hit the arrow, or what the deal is. I tried going back in to the lyrics tab again and hitting OK, and I even closed and reopened MM, but the lyrics still don't appear to be saved in the tags unless I delete the contents of the lyrics tab, hit OK, open properties again then paste them back into the lyrics tab and hit OK again. Not sure if it's a bug or not.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I just tried to reproduce (files in Library) with 4.1.1 (from Beta forum) and can't reproduce. Using Next track in Properties updated the lyrics in the files (either with manual tagging or build in auto-lyrics lookup).
Ignotus

Post by Ignotus »

Quick question regarding the beta. Can I install the beta version alongside the release version and run either version on the same machine, or would I have to install the beta over the top of the release? If I decided to install over the top of my release version, will it do an "update" and still maintain my library, skins, and addons? I'm not too keen on installing the beta just to see if the issue I described is fixed if I will have to redo everything regarding the library, settings, UI, addons, etc. Thanks!

EDIT: Well, I guess it's not that big of a deal. I tried to reproduce the issue and I cannot. :-? I still have 1 track in MM that is showing lyrics, but when I look at that track in mp3tag or WMP it does NOT have lyrics. I don't know how I managed to do this. I just now updated several tracks on the same album using the lyrics tab on the properties window and moved to the next song with the arrow at the bottom, and it appears to have worked correctly. I even hit CANCEL on the last one and the previous tracks still properly saved the lyrics. The lyrics are visible in WMP and in the tag in mp3tag. I will post back if anything changes, but I know it got screwy for a couple of tracks and I can't reproduce it. Thanks anyway. :)
Ignotus

Post by Ignotus »

OK, sorry to keep posting about this, but I think I figured it out. The problem was caused by me having the mp3 file open in WMP listening to it and having the file's properties open in MM to tag the lyrics. I had the properties open in MM with the lyrics tab and was reading the lyrics there and listening along in WMP so I could make subtle changes to the lyrics in MM due to it being a live version vs. studio. I assume MM couldn't properly update the tag since the file was in use by WMP. I just replicated it with a file. One of the songs did update, but one did not; it shows lyrics in MM, but WMP and mp3tag do not show the lyrics. It just didn't hit me at the time that it was because the file was in use elsewhere. If I open an mp3 in WMP and then try to edit the tag in mp3tag, mp3tag gives an error about not being able to open the file for writing. Perhaps MM should give some type of error regarding a file being open elsewhere if you try to edit the tag. It appears that the edit quietly fails in MM with MM reflecting the changes to the lyrics, but the changes don't actually happen to the file.

I did some other tag edits while the files were playing in WMP, and those seemed to take. I'm not sure how MM is able to update the tags while the files are in use in WMP, but it seems to do a pretty good job of it. Even the lyrics will sometimes update with the file in use, but a couple of times for me the lyrics didn't update outside of MM. So something is intermittently failing in that regard. It seems hit and miss, so not reliably easy to duplicate on my end. I think I'd rather just have MM tell me that the file is in use elsewhere than have it sometimes/most of the time manage to update it successfully. That's just my take on it. I'll chalk it up to part stupidity on my part for attempting to modify files that are in use in a different program. :oops: Sometimes you forget the basics.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey will silently fail (some setup a read-only collection on purpose), but the Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags node should list all files for which tag updates failed. Select them and use Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags to update the tags in the files with the values of the MediaMonkey database.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

Select them and use File > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags to update the tags in the files with the values of the MediaMonkey database.
I tried to do this today...It's actually Tools>Advanced Tag Management>Synchronize Tags...but thank you for pointing us in the right direction.