Duplicate Report 3.0 [MM2+3]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Duplicate Report 3.0 [MM2+3]

Post by trixmoto »

This script was designed and thoroughly beta tested by MusicMan and is being officially released on the forum for the first time. It is now developed by Skywave.

The idea is that you make sure all the tracks you want to process are in the main window, then click "File, Create Reports, Duplicate Report". You will be presented with an options screen...

Match mode - This is how your tracks will be grouped, the fields listed will all be checked to see if they match.
Keep field - This script needs to keep track of what flag it has given tracks on previous runs. You can use any available text field, hover over to see a few examples.
Tolerance - This is the number of seconds which tracks are allowed to differ in length but be considered the same length.
Majority - In some cases a previously considered keepable track can be overthrown by a majority of other tracks. You get to decide how large this majority needs to be!
Match titles... - Sometimes other duplicate software you've used in the past will have added (2) and (3) etc to the end of matching titles. This script can ignore those so the titles still match.
If group... - On secondary runs you might wish to remove tracks that could not be decided on last run.
Ignore flags - You might have run the script before and therefore have tags, but you might wish for the script to ignore these and run as though it was running for the first time.
Ignore case - This means the check is now longer case sensitive.
Use selection - This will use only the selected tracks instead of all the visible ones.

There are four types of flags:
KEEP - This is where you have manually specified to keep the track.
AUTO - This is where the script decides this is the best track to keep.
SOFT - This is where the script cannot make a decision.
DUPE - This is where the script has decided this is a duplicate which you can remove.

Once the first 4 stages of the script have run you will be presented with a confirmation screen. This lists your settings and all of the tracks and how they've been flagged. You can then click on the track title to play the track, or the flag to change it between KEEP, DUPE and whatever flag the script decided on.

If you are confident with the choices made and want to remove the duplicates then you can use the "Delete" option, which provides a confirmation screen asking if you want to remove from your computer as well as the library. However for the first few runs I'd recommend using the "Flag" option which just flags the duplicates, and you can manually delete them yourself later, once you're sure.

Please provide feedback on how useful this script has been for you! :)
Last edited by trixmoto on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:45 am, edited 7 times in total.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

P.S. I should have explained what this script think is "best".

Firstly it groups the tracks by length and looks at the mode groups. Then from each mode group it chooses the one with the highest bitrate, and if there's still multiple it chooses the most recent addition. So, for example...

Title1 3:17 320kbps
Title1 3:17 192kbps
Title1 3:27 320kbps

In this lot, the first would be chosen, the second and third would be considered duplicates. Please feel free to ask any more questions about how this script works, I doubt I've remembered to cover everything!! :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Looks interesting!

Will the script merge playcounts/rating/added dates like Bex's advanced dupe finder?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, this script currently doesn't merge anything. I might add that once MM3 has reach beta because it'll take lots of SQL which will need changing then. The trouble also arises that you'd have to have some way of specifying which tracks should give their information to which other tracks - that would get very confusing!!!
thefaceman

Where is the script?

Post by thefaceman »

I do not see a link to the script?
-thanks

-ps- will this script do the following?

FYI -
I have 35000 mp3 files in my database.
I have about 500 CDs.
I have about 200 backup mp3 file CDs.
So you can see I need to do some cleanup.

I want to put my CD into my CD drive and compare the songs on the CD node to my Library and file the NON duplicate - Artist Title, BUT better yet I need to make sure that the NON duplicate includes the bit-rate.

The reason is simple if I have a 128 (or other non 320) version of the song in my Library then I want to re-rip my CD to get a better version.

The same thing for my backup CDs with MP3 files on it.
Compare Artist - Title and bitrate. If the song is missing entirely from the library or if the Artist - Title matches but is a higher bit rate than the one in my library then list it in a NON- duplicate node
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The installer is on my website. You can click on the image in my signature to get there and then you'll find it in the reports section.

This script will not do the comparison that you suggest. However, if you rip a whole CD in 320kbps and then run the script it will be able to find the duplicates that you've now created and will help you remove the lower quality ones. So it will do what you want, but you'll need all the tracks in your library to start with.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Wow, somehow I forgot to try this out, works pretty good!

I set the field to occasion that way the files show up in the classification/occasion node. :)
needhelp

need help with last step

Post by needhelp »

Im running your script with no problem, but after determining duplicates and tagging them accordingly, I cant find anyway to access the flags or delete the files labeled dupe. Ive searched through the tree for any folder containing these flags but am having no luck.

any help would be great

Thanks a lot
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well you define the field on the options screen. What did you specify as the Keep Field?
thefaceman

Can i avoid a rip

Post by thefaceman »

Hmm.. sounds like there is no script for this.

Maybe I am the only one. I get a new CD, but I do not want to RIP the CD just to find out that I already have the song in my database.

Or better yet. Since I keep my original CDs (to avoid that legal issue) I often somehow get one of my songs deleted and when I randomly check my CD against the database a song (or two is missing)

Or better yet. I have a 128 bit version of the song and I want to replace it with the CD version (which I will rip at a better 320) bit rate.

So if your script does not do this, two questions.

How long would it take to develop this script?
How much would it cost to develop this script?

-thanks
-thefaceman
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You don't need to rip the tracks first, as long as you add them to the database with the correct tags, the script should still pick up the duplicates, regardless of the fact that they are actually on a CD.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Any chance of getting it to ignore blank titles? (ie unknown titles)

Otherwise this script is brilliant :)

Options to merge would be nice as suggested, but as I can just see which ones have a rating already, and go through those ones manually.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks, I'll investigate these suggestions and see what I can do. :)
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Seems it's caps sensitive as well.... would make sense if it wasn't.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'll look at added an option to control that as well.