Scan Continuously / Scan at Startup & storage impact

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Morbii

Scan Continuously / Scan at Startup & storage impact

Post by Morbii »

Hello,

I am generally very hesitant to change software that I use. I have been using Windows Media Player for over a decade. I recently moved my collection to a NAS by way of CIFS share/drive mapping. WMP tries to read the disk far too often (it's *always* "updating"), and I can't figure out how to make it stop doing that (despite changing tons of options as recommended for this problem).

So, my question is: how does the Media Monkey scanning work? Will it continually check random folders and cause my NAS to work endlessly for no reason, or does it perform in a more intelligent manner? I realize that a CIFS share is subtly different to a normal windows folder in several ways, so I'm guessing that that plays into it with WMP, at least in part. At the very least, it does seem like you can tell MM not to scan!

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: Scan Continuously / Scan at Startup & storage impact

Post by Lowlander »

If you don't enable Folder Monitoring it won't scan in either scenario, you can then manually do it with Add/Rescan Files. Startup scan of Folder Monitoring runs at MediaMonkey start and scans all enabled folders contents. Continuous Scan relies on Windows informing about file changes (this may not always work for NAS, especially if other device makes modifications on the NAS).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Morbii

Post by Morbii »

Thank you. It seems I should almost certainly just disable scanning and handle it manually if required as if I check on startup, it will likely do the same thing that WMP is doing & I'm pretty sure you're correct about the NAS (I'd be somewhat surprised if it worked at all with a NAS if the software relies on a hook like you describe).
Morbii

Post by Morbii »

So, while checking out the rescan feature, I'm a little weary of using it, not least of which because it seems very cumbersome. I am speaking in reference to adding a single known folder, for example.

I noticed that I can drag/drop a file onto the Music node from a Windows folder. It says "Copy" in the tooltip. It seems to just add the file to the library and that's it (keeping the original location). Is this a correct assessment, or is there more to it than that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Startup scan is the same as Add/Rescan Files, but it runs at startup automatically, and finishes once scanning completes.

Yes, D&D onto the root Collection nodes (like Music) will add the selection to the Library: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... edia_Files However you also scan a single folder using Add/Rescan Files.
Morbii

Post by Morbii »

I figured you could add a single folder on the rescan dialog, but I was worried that it would change the default base folder for ripping music. It's also very slow (because of navigating the NAS with thousands of folders).

Either way, D+D is the way for me to move forward.

Thank you for the help!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, Ripping Destination is a separate setting. You can also Paste any location you want scanned and Add it in the Add/Rescan Files dialog if you don't want to navigate to it. And if you right click, Add/Rescan on any folder in the Location sub-node or My Computer node in the Media Tree in MediaMonkey it will be pre-selected to be scanned.
Morbii

Post by Morbii »

Cool. So, many ways of doing it. I like!