Sync playlist without syncing music files?

Get answers about syncing the current release of MediaMonkey with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

PGR

Sync playlist without syncing music files?

Post by PGR »

I have an iPod Touch (3G) and an iPod Nano (6G) which I sync with MM (v. 3.2.4.1304 Gold). Both iPods have the same identical music library on them that's on my PC. When I create a new playlist on MM and send it to one of the iPods, MM seems to insist on transferring all the song files as well, despite the fact that the identical files are already on the device.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the nature of the beast? If it is, it sure seems like an odd way of doing things.

Thanks!

Pete
nynaevelan

Re: Sync playlist without syncing music files?

Post by nynaevelan »

Are you using the Send To feature?? If so, then it will always send both the tracks and the playlist(s) to the device. THe best way to do it is to use the auto sync option, MM will check the device for existing tracks.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files

Post by Guest »

I'm also having the same issue; I too would like to synchronize the *.m3u files to the root of my Sansa device, without bringing along all of the corresponding files.

It took me some time to realize that there are two separate options for this, at least as far as I can tell. The first is under "Auto-Sync List," so I suppose that it makes sense that if I check the playlists here, that the songs are also sync'd along with it:

However, it seems that if I select this option:

Then, I should see the playlist files appear in the location that I've configured. However, no matter how many times I auto-sync, this doesn't seem to happen.

Also, the "Export all playlists" script isn't much help here, because it encodes the full path to media on the computer instead of on the device. Thanks for any assistance!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

How are you defining the root in the copy playlist options? I've found it doesn't work at all for me unless I use "\" (single backslash). Leaving it blank seems to cause problems.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.