UI tweaks to improve discoverability [#16066][#16067]

Report bugs & feature requests for MediaMonkey 5 and learn about the newest builds.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

UI tweaks to improve discoverability [#16066][#16067]

Post by Barry4679 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:55 am

#1. Missing explanatory text

Could this have some text, above the radio buttons, to explain who|what the "preview" is? .... There is nowhere in the UI, where the part of the UI affected by this control, has an on-screen title of "Preview".

#2. Inconsistent names

MM5 UI is already complex enough ... don't make it more complex by referring to the same thing, using different names
(i) what is the "Search Bar"? ... I have not seen anything in the UI with that title, or tooltip.
Do the controls in that box just relate to what is called "Whole Library Search" elsewhere?
BTW it is already hard enough to know which is named what ... ie. here (a) has a title, but (b) does not have a title ... they both should have titles.

(ii) Are these the same thing, just with different names?

#3. Missing tooltip

See here:

(A) has a explanatory tooltip, which also discloses the keyboard shortcut
(B) has nothing (?!) ... even though it also has a keyboard shortcut .... AND it is one of the more complex and confusing areas of the MM5 design (eg. Contextual search vs whole db search, as well as unexpected right click behaviour, and initially hidden dropdown menu)

I think that this is the 3rd time I have made this point ... so far without comment nor corrective action ... why? ... are you having trouble describing your own design?

#4. Search syntax tips

I have made this comment before; quoted below

You don't agree? ... I think the current text looks juvenile, wanky & doesn't aid understanding due to the "examples" not relating to anything relevant to the user ... This syntax will be new to everybody, including customers upgrading from MM4, so it is important. ... I get the programmer reference, but do you think that all your customers are going to be programmers?

Barry4679 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:03 am
Search tips dbox needs improvement.

#6. ... using Foo Bar for all your examples is not a good idea IMO ... are you expecting that MM5 clientele will be restricted to just Computer Programmers? ... I think that it makes generally confusing, what should be helpful documentation ... and it looks really lame IMO

Suggest you use some music related two word example, eg. Pink Floyd

foo | finds words beginning with foo (e.g. Bar Food or foObar )
+Foo | finds words beginning with Foo (case-sensitive, e.g. Football)
"Foo" | finds whole words (e.g. FOO or foo)
#7. does a poor job of explaining last item above ... suggest "pin" | finds whole words (e.g. Peace Pin Boogie, but not Pink)"
fieldname:foo | restricts search to a specific field. For example:
artistfoo | finds words beginning with foo (in Artist) e.g. Bar Food or föObar
yearX..Y | finds matches in range X to Y
rating: X. | finds matches wth X stars or more
#8. Suggest you also include an example for the Album Artist tag ... to clear up any doubt about how to handle the blank space between Album & Artist ... I know that you handle it with, or without, the space (which is good :) ) ... but it would be good to reduce anxiety levels by by giving an example

The lack of kerning in the instructions font make it appear that there is a blank space between "year:X.." and "Y"
This misunderstanding produces confusing results.

Instead of Year:X..Y
It would clearer if you had a real example, like Year:2000..2001, which wouldn't be so badly affected by the font

Ludek

Re: UI tweaks to improve discoverability

Post by Ludek » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback, some of these tips (#3 and #4) are considered and incorporated to 2207+

Re #1 and #2: Components like "player", "search bar", "menu bar", "preview" don't have the titles shown in the main panel as they are well known components that almost everyone can recognize. But if anyone is unsure then go to menu View and try to disable the items one by one to see what is Player, what is Preview, what is Menu bar etc.

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Ludek wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm
Re #1 and #2: Components like "player", "search bar", "menu bar", "preview" don't have the titles shown in the main panel as they are well known components that almost everyone can recognize.

Yes, we know what a Search Bar is ... but which Search Bar? ... you have two

It is not easy as you think ... and it it is not as bad as I 1st thought when I opened this thread, because I misunderstood what your UI was telling me, which proves the point doesn't it? ... it is not as clear as it should be IMO

And, OK, I now see that it is called "Preview" in the View main menu ... I hadn't noticed that before ... one of the improvements of MM5 is that you don't have to use that menu any more. ... It wasn't called that in MM4.

The use of the name in the View menu largely invalidates my point ... but there is still this:

If I had to guess what in MM was a "preview", I would guess either this ... or this, which is sadly missing from MM5 (ie. click-free previewing)

I would not have guessed that you had decided to call this a "preview" ... maybe my bad?

Ludek wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 pm
But if anyone is unsure then go to menu View and try to disable the items one by one to see what is Player, what is Preview, what is Menu bar etc.
One would hope that you were joking ... but I think not ?

The 'fixes" to these things are just a line or two of helpful explanatory text inside the dboxes ... anything small, which reduces confusion and smooths the introduction to MM5, is a good thing ... right?

Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am

Ludek wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:58 am
FYI:
The issues are being solved as
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16066
and
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16067
Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

re 16066:
there's no real difference between 'Advanced' and 'Filter icon' in Global Search. Would it make sense to get rid of the icon in this view (since it's already accessible via the 'Advanced' link)?
I don't think there is any need to go that far.

The tool bar icon adds to discoverability, and as such is helpful.
I was just suggesting that same name be used for both the icon's tool-tip, and the sort control's dropdown menu.

At the moment the things are the same, but have two different names; "filter view" vs "advanced search"

I think that a combination is the best name, ie. "advanced contextual filter"
  • the word "advanced" in the tool bar tool-tip, messages that a "simple" filter|search does exist, even if it is not immediately obvious
  • the word "contextual" is important, because that filter just works for the current context doesn't it

re 16067

Your suggestions sound sensible, including the [Edit].