Much of the rest MM5 is of uneven standard, even buggy in places.
#1. Missing filter
- go to >albums in Grid view
- select a couple of albums
- switch to List view
- ? I can easily find the tracks that I have chosen
- ie. they are lost down in the list somewhere
- potentially in various isolated locations
- if I try finding by a contextual filter, this cancels the selection
- a View menu toggle option for "Show just currently selected items
- and a (funnel) filter option to include|exclude currently selected items
MM4 may not have needed this facility, due to the limited number of viewing and navigation modes, but the facility is essential in MM5 IMO
#2. Selection (and other) info missing
- go to >albumartist (or <artist) in Grid view
- select a couple of Artists
- ? the footnote does not display selection info, nor the other useful info from the Gold Standard
- same problem in other sub-nodes, eg. Genre, Composer
#3. Selection lost when changing View modes
- go to >Composers in Grid view
- open the inline view for a Composer, and select a couple of the composer's albums
- as described above, I don't know how much music I have chosen
- BUG - this time it is worse, because the footer says that I have chosen n COMPOSERS, but it should say n ALBUMS
- switch to List view to see the missing information
- switch back to Grid view to add some more albums
- ?!! ... you have cancelled my selection ... now nothing is selected
- also affects the in-place panels available from the artists and albumartist sub-nodes
#4. Inconsistent offering of toggle option
There is a UI option to toggle off the footer, but it is available in only one context. This is frustrating if you remember that you saw it once, but can't find it anymore. This is because the assumption is likely to be that the UI is consistent. ... If the UI offers configuration of the footer in one location, it should be offered everywhere IMO.
#5. The new Selection tool bar toggle
This is an excellent addition to the UI.
Is it also going to be offered in List. and also List by album, view modes? ... It should be. Especially since, in these view nodes, the fact that there a selected rows is all but invisible, since they may be scrolled off-screen. ... The footer is tiny. The tool bar icon is more visible, and it may also be useful to anyone not familiar with Ctrl+A. ... And a consistent UI is best.