More MM5 UI tweaks

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

More MM5 UI tweaks

Post by Barry4679 »

tested with version 2407
  1. Loss of track selection I
    Track selection should be retained when changing views.
    It happens as expected in these situations:
    • change from List to Grid views
    • change from List By Album to Grid
    • change from List to List By Album ... and vice versa
    But track selection is lost in these situations:
    • change from Grid to either List, or to List By Album
  2. Loss of track selection II
    Track selection is always lost when changing views, when a contextual filter is active,

Steps
    • go to List View
    • type something, so that the view is context filtered
    • select a few tracks
    • change to List By Album view
    • ==> track selection is lost
  3. Loss of knowledge of selection

Steps:
    • go to List view, and sort to song title sequence
    • select a couple of tracks then
      • either sort the list to album sequence
      • or change to List by Album view
    • ==>the tracks remain selected, but which tracks are they?? ... they cannot easily be identified in a long list
    MM5 needs a a toggle key|control to filter to selected tracks only. ... ie. a contextual filter which shows selected tracks only.
    This is needed in both the List views
    I used Catraxx before I switched to MediaMonkey,. It has this feature, and it is very useful when working with selections from within long lists.
  4. Power scroll within the Media Tree

This has been improved recently, which is good.
    It is too hard to use|discover

Steps
    • select Show All Sub-nodes
    • navigate the Media Tree to a sub-node like EntireLibrary>Albums
    • open the Albums sub-node, and then press the down arrow key
    • type something to try to use power scroll
    • ==> power scroll is active ... good
    But if instead of using the down arrow, try to activate the Media Tree's sub-node contents by clicking within it (ie. click on a album):
    • and then I type something
    • ==> power scroll is not active .... unexpected
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: More MM5 UI tweaks

Post by Ludek »

Re 4)
This was a change in 2407, but actually per design, details for the rationale in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17810
Already discussed here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=99104

Though we might want to re-evaluate the solution based on the feedback.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:31 am This was a change in 2407, but actually per design, details for the rationale in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17810
Thanks.

Ludek wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:31 am Though we might want to re-evaluate the solution based on the feedback.

It is an unholy mix at the moment. Steps:
  • click on a Media Tree, and navigate to a sub-node eg. EntireLibrary>Albums
  • the unholy mix is this:
    • type any character ==> it is handled by the main panel
    • but press any arrow key ==> it is handled by the Media Tree
That probably breaks some UI rules. I am undecided whether I loathe or am indifferent to this behaviour
  • OTOH it is hard to discover how it works, and is frustrating while the user is confused
  • OTOH it can be convenient as it can save a mouse click or tab press on the keyboard
  • and OTOH it doesn't really matter ... The Media Tree is becoming irrelevant, because you can do everything quicker, and with less wasted screen space, and less confusion, by using the bread crumbs in the Tool Bar, and the MM5 contextual filtering facility
I have the left hand panel closed nearly 100% of the time now ... except when doing D&D operations ... or when beta testing :)

My 2c worth is that I agree with LowLander.
LowLander wrote: It seems to me that powerscroll should also be active in the Media Tree when focus is shifted to it by mouse click
  • if Show All Sub-nodes is OFF ... leave everything as is
  • if Show All Sub-nodes is ON ... when focus is in the Media Tree, all keystrokes (except Tab keys] get handled by the Media Tree power scrolling ... just like in MM4
  • leave the option defaulted to OFF
  • and I would invest some time in creating a Quick Start document or video to cover MM5 changes and querks
[UPDATE] I forgot to mention that this happened three times will testing power scroll
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Re. selection changes: that issue is tracked at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16371

-Rusty
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:54 am
  • if Show All Sub-nodes is OFF ... leave everything as is
  • if Show All Sub-nodes is ON ... when focus is in the Media Tree, all keystrokes (except Tab keys] get handled by the Media Tree power scrolling ... just like in MM4
  • leave the option defaulted to OFF
  • and I would invest some time in creating a Quick Start document or video to cover MM5 changes and querks
Yes, will be altered in 2408 ( https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=17810 )
[UPDATE] I forgot to mention that this happened three times will testing power scroll
This crash is fixed for 2408, thx.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am Re. selection changes: that issue is tracked at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16371
Thanks. Issue #2 seems to be a separate case, and is just as much a problem IMO.