Page 2 of 2
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:56 am
by tbm72
Hi Peke,
Yes, still replicates for me every time (in latest build 5.1.0.2817). Here's some steps:
1) Make sure you have both the Playing and Preview panes visible in the right panel.
2) Drag the vertical separator bar to the left so the artwork width is quite wide
3) Drag the separator bar (between Playing/Preview panes) up so that all the text elements are displaying above the artwork
4) Quit and Restart MM5
5) The height of the right panel separator bar isn't remembered
See screenshot of before and after restarting MM5:
So as you said before, the width of the right hand panel is remembered but the height (between the Playing and Preview panes) is not.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:54 pm
by Peke
Hi,
I can replicate but on second restart strange. See my recording with 2817.
https://app.screencast.com/t2YOp6QF2ns50
Reopened.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:01 am
by tbm72
Marked as fixed but still happens in 2819 build.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:53 am
by Ludek
tbm72 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:01 am
Marked as fixed but still happens in 2819 build.
Strange, I can't replicate anymore after the fix.. :-/
Is it that just height isn't remembered or also width?
Could you please catch it in a debug log (item 4b here
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643 ) and attach to eSupport ticket for analyzing?
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:04 am
by Rob_S
It fails to hold its size for me under the following circumstance.
Starting with a fairly narrow "now playing" if I resize the preview box higher than it needs to be to contain the image and the text - ie there is blank space above the image.
Then I close MM and restart. Upon restart, it has resized itself down to eliminate the blank space. This actually makes some sense, as it is just eliminating wasted space.
If I widen the now playing quite a bit, it holds the width, but loses its height setting even if it is set to just contain the image and text. Upon restart, the text overlaps the image. This bit is not so good for someone who would like a larger image.
Conversely if I shrink it down too short so text overlaps image, it will stay "too short" upon restart. Some might want it that way.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:27 am
by tbm72
In the end I've found it easier to just disable the 'playing' panel from the right hand pane so I only have the Preview pane taking the whole space on the right:
In my opinion it would be nice if the Preview pane could just automatically resize its height to fit both the artwork and text together without over-running the text onto the artwork if you have album or artist fields with long names but the way I've set it above is OK for me.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am
by Lowlander
Try as I might, I can't reproduce. Preview always retains set height over restart. I though that maybe Lyrics lookup was an issue, but disabling it didn't do anything.
Funny enough, enabling Lyrics panel, did cause this issue once. However, I can't reproduce that either anymore.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:48 am
by Rob_S
Could this be skin-related.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:55 am
by tbm72
Thanks for trying but no worries, I'll just work around it by disabling the playing pane as above.
One last clue if you did want to look into it further might be that it only happens for me when MM is maximised full screen (which it always is when I run it).
I found that if I restore down the window so it isn't maximised, the height of the pane seems to be correctly remembered even after restarting MM. So it only doesn't remember the height correctly for me when the program window is maximised.
But don't worry about looking into it any more, not a big deal
(Also, no, doesn't seem to be skin-related - does it on all skins for me.)
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm
by Ludek
tbm72 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:55 am
One last clue if you did want to look into it further might be that it only happens for me when MM is maximised full screen (which it always is when I run it).
That's it!!
I can finally replicate (when MM window is maximized).
Thanks!
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:32 pm
by tbm72
Ludek wrote: ↑Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:03 pm
That's it!!
I can finally replicate (when MM window is maximized).
Thanks!

Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:31 pm
by tbm72
Sorry, this is marked as fixed again but it still isn't for me!
Another way to test it is:
1) Make sure MM program window is maximised
2) Resize the height of the preview pane by dragging the separator bar up high
3) Click the restore down icon so the program window becomes 'un-maximised'
4) Click maximise icon so the window becomes full screen again
5) It loses the height setting from step 2) above
Maybe this is just something that can't be fixed?
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:47 am
by Lowlander
That I'm able to reproduce, the key here is that the window height needs to be smaller (so Preview has to resize to fit).
I re-opened the issue.
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:38 pm
by MPG
Hi,
I think my problem is along the same lines as this request. I have the Preview Widget below the Media Tree on the left panel. I adjust the width to match the album cover being displayed and MM5 will readjust the width to match the width of longest text displayed in the Media Tree. I believe this request is asking for the width to be fixed and I'd like to add my voice to the request.
I am running 5.0.4.2690
TIA,
MPG
Re: Preview box doesn't remember layout positioning [#19827]
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:06 pm
by tbm72
I think your problem sounds a bit different, although it's possibly related.
My issue is that the height isn't remembered correctly of the separator between the preview pane (with the artwork and track info etc) and the 'playing' pane above it each time MM is restarted, so all the track info usually runs over onto the artwork.
It still isn't fixed for me so now I just disable the 'playing' pane so the whole right column just displays the preview pane without the need for a separator.