Winamp Ratings?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dbarona

Winamp Ratings?

Post by dbarona »

Hello everyone...

I have been using MediaMonkey for quite some time now and I have been slowly converting from using Winamp. One of the reasons why this process has been slow is mainly because of the ratings that I have in winamp... I have way too many songs for them to be singly rated again.

I was really excited when I saw that since version 2.5.1.896 apparently a feature had been added to allow importing of iTunes' and Winamp's ratings (among other information I assume). However, I have not been able to find this feature. It also appears in the help contents of MediaMonkey if you do a search, but I still can't find a single 'activade/deactivate' feature or something like that... It would be really nice if this feature actually exists.

There is one work around method for this that I have used before, but it still doesn't beat an automatic feature. That is to make separate playlists in Winamp for the 5 star rated, 4 star, 3 star and so on. Then open those playlists in MediaMonkey and 'batch-rate' them accordingly.

The ratings can be definitely be exported from winamp (either directly from the main.dat library file, or through an xml library export plugin), but how can they be imported into MediaMonkey???

Thanks in advance
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

if you wait for some time not sure how much longer but
diddeleedoo has almost completed his Automatic Ratings Catch up script.

which will rate all the songs you have.

but right now he is alittle sick so he is trying to get well.

he did get the Automatic Ratings Keep updated rating script working.

check out the script here.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 5365#45365

it is working just load the script the way the instructions say to do and start rating your songs this is also to keep any rating you have already so it should not overwrite you current ratings.

enjoy.

check out the artwork room i have posted in there a message with a link to my site to get new ratings stars that work in monkey, enjoy.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe that during the add/rescan process MediaMonkey checks iTunes (I don't know about WinAmp, but it probably works the same).

I don't know if it is able to update information from an external app for files already in the library.

Anyway your workaround is smart and it's only 11 lists. Why do you still use WinAmp (ie what do you miss in MediaMonkey)?
dbarona

Post by dbarona »

Thanks for your responses...

I thought that this information would be added with the scans but it doesn't seem like it does... I tried clearing the library and re-adding everything again, but it still doesn't seem to work. Also, I have exported/converted my media library from Winamp into iTunes format, and replace the iTunes library xml file with this, but MediaMonkey still doesn't seem to recognize this information.

I use Winamp as my player, and MediaMonkey as my library power editor, which by the way, is amazing. However, I use a couple of widgets (WinampCDArt and iTunes Companion) that are quite handy and help keep my desktop uncluttered. The main reason why I am all concerned about these ratings is because you can rate on the fly on iTunesCompanion (which by the way can be 'hacked' through ActiveWinampto see and use Winamp instead of iTunes) adding these ratings to Winamp's Media Library (and perhaps subsequently to iTunes'). Although the idea of automatically rating my songs sounds very interesting, I still prefer (at least for now) to manually rate them or to change the rating easily when I may.

Other than that, I honestly think that MediaMonkey has nothing to envy from other players...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The player in MediaMonkey should see some updates in the new release (2.6), and some of the widget functionalit might work in MediaMonkey too. Many WinAmp plugins work directly in MediaMonkey and thru scripts many more things can be achieved.

I advise this as it's normally best to stay with only one music software, this due to the many incompatibilities between them.
dbarona

Post by dbarona »

hmmmm weird....

I continued to mess with Media Monkey until I decided to uninstall the whole thing, clear registry entries and reinstall it all over again, then import my songs again. Now i have the Winamp/iTunes ratings in the library. I hope it does it every time I re-scan.

I'm very glad it's working now...

Thank's ya'll for all your help