Startup with Windows

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I'd like a native startup with Windows option

You may select 1 option

View results

Timelezz

Startup with Windows

Post by Timelezz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:11 am

It would be great if there is an option in Mediamonkey to have it startup automatically with Windows. Preferably, it would be nice if one could choose (a) in which mode it is started (maximum/mini/micro). And (b) whether the player starts playing directly.

nohitter151

Re: Startup with Windows

Post by nohitter151 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:40 am

I think if you just put a shortcut to MM in the start menu "Startup" folder, it will automatically start with windows.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:16 am

if your after a jukebox system then go to the help with addons forum room look in there for the all scripts thread. then find the second posting for peke's windows scheduler script. the first one last i knew was to his version one of the script. so get the second one. it allows you set up your script with playlists that it will start when you kick the script with the task job. and also you can start monkey with the script or use a seperate task job to start monkey before you start the script's also at the end of that long windows scheduler script thread i put the script to close mediamonkey by task job in scheduler so you can start monkey and start the playlists and then stop monkey and also you can use the shutdown.exe in windows xp to restart or shutdown the system. if you want to restart it with the shutdown you need to include -f -r -t after the url in the task job's command line. so it will read c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe -f -r -t if you just want to shutdown leave the f r t code off.

thats what i do for the jukebox i run, its all automatic. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Also see the following command line options available: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... d=45&nav=0
Knowledge Base wrote: /NoSplash - don't show splash screen when starting MediaMonkey
/Play - run MediaMonkey and start playing the last played track from the Now Playing queue
/Next - play files after the current track
/Add - add files to the Now Playing queue
/Party - run MediaMonkey in Party Mode, for more info about Party Mode consult Online Manual
/ResetToolbars - resets toolbar configuration to default settings
/INIFILE=fullpath - starts MediaMonkey using an .ini file at the specified location
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

timelezz

Post by timelezz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:32 am

Thank you all for pointing out that there are scripts that do theses things. My post in this MM-wishlist is to point out to the developers that all other Windows programs have an options 'Startup with Windows', while MM is lacking here. There are workarounds, but they need some technical knowledge. So please put this very normal option into MM.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 pm

timelezz wrote:all other Windows programs have an options 'Startup with Windows'
Is that new in Windows 7? Very few of my programs have that option, checking my browsers, office applications, graphic application, developer tools I don't see it.

Timelezz

Post by Timelezz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Oh oh, Can't you just trust me on this? On XP, all virus scanners have an option to start with windows. Messengers (Skype, MSN, Yoono), itunes, lastfm player, and even a small alarm clock application and Wakoopa have these. Office applications have mostly a quick starter. But you know this already :)

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Of course virus scanners start with Windows, so do firewalls and anti-spyware applications. I also know messengers start with Windows, but most application don't to my knowledge. I didn't know that iTunes did, haven't seen this in WMP though and the office quick starter is something different, Java does something similar as well.

In any case I myself don't have a need for this and adding an entry to the startup would work for me if I needed it.

Timelezz

Post by Timelezz » Tue May 18, 2010 2:51 pm

According to the poll i'm not the only one who would like this function :)

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Tue May 18, 2010 3:02 pm

i changed my mind from my answer of maybe to no don't want it.

not to be a partry spoiler, or anything like that, but for the reason this computer here and my other one i use for back up both have tons of stuff starting with windows now. some times it does not all start and i have to do a reboot to get all the stuff to show.

not sure what that is caused by but these are the only two computers working in an online system set up.
the jukebox is as stated in my first reply using timers in the task scheduler.

now i know there are some faster computers out there then mine that might make it start up easy with all the other things windows and window's program authors want to start at start up. but that just leads me to suggest if on off switch option was added then it might be a maybe answer for me again. :o

but as of now its a no answer. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Tue May 18, 2010 5:59 pm

timelezz wrote:Thank you all for pointing out that there are scripts that do theses things. My post in this MM-wishlist is to point out to the developers that all other Windows programs have an options 'Startup with Windows', while MM is lacking here. There are workarounds, but they need some technical knowledge. So please put this very normal option into MM.
No need of technical knowledge. Just do what Nohitter said.
nohitter151 wrote:I think if you just put a shortcut to MM in the start menu "Startup" folder, it will automatically start with windows.
This is your solution.
It's pretty easy an intuitive to do.

There's really no need to add an option in MM itself.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

Timelezz

Post by Timelezz » Sat May 22, 2010 10:01 am

I see it is not an urgent option. but it would make MM more easy to use for users that are not PC-experts like we are.
rovingcowboy wrote: (...) tons of stuff starting with windows now. some times it does not all start. (...) now i know there are some faster computers out there then mine that might make it start up easy with all the other things windows
You may like to use a startup delayer to speed up your PC's performance. I use it too, and it's a brilliant solution for slower pc's. http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page= ... startdelay

rovingcowboy wrote: If on off switch option was added then it might be a maybe answer for me again. :o
My suggestion is to have this option in MM, not as a standard mandatory thing. So you might change back to yes ;)

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:43 am

I wouldn't use this option myself but, yes, it most definitely should be implemented as an 'option' for those who would.

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:37 am

How to add a program to the startup folder:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/add-p ... tartup-fol

Warning: needs expert skills in informatics :wink:
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 am

Dreadlau wrote:How to add a program to the startup folder:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/add-p ... tartup-fol

Warning: needs expert skills in informatics :wink:

do you mean that you are not able to add an icon to the start folder in the windows folder anymore in win 7?? :o