This script is an update from the original earliest release date from discogs script written by yhsiugs. With his permission I have updated the script and started a new thread. Would like to thank Hagar and Cotto for their comments and testing in version 2.0. To other posters I have implemented many of the suggestions for version 3.0 of the script.
Version 184.108.40.206 - January 29, 2013
- Bug fixes
- Fixed object required bug due to malformed URL requests
- Fixed rate limits for Discogs and MusicBrainz not respected if no results found
Version 220.127.116.11 - January 24, 2013
- Added option to search MusicBrainz (MB searches are extremely fast and is the default on install)
- Added option to search by selected song(s)
- Added options to control displayed results
- Added option to use specific year (e.g. 9999) for searches with no results
- Added Play Next/Start Search button to UI
- Apply to album option moved to UI
- Searches Master releases from Discogs for results (allows for wider search)
- Added option to select number of Discogs Masters to search
- Each Master searched requires a call to the Discogs API, each call is seperated by 1 second to respect Discogs API terms.
- Added progress bar for multiple selection searches
- Results are sorted automatically (earliest to latest)
- Search performed only on music
- Added timing to respect API terms for Discogs and MB
- Various minor bug fixes
Version 18.104.22.168 - July 3, 2012
- Update panel look and feel
- New Option Sheet
- Added option to use 'Date' field instead of default 'Original Date'
- Added option to update entire album/series
- Added option to use Month/Day if available
- Added option to search only if selected date field is empty - can force search by clicking results dialog
- Added logic so automatic DB updates occur only if the selected date field is blank, and only for single songs
- Fixed bug where the previously searched song results were presented when panel made visible, not the currently playing song
- Fixed bug where auto-updates would not be applied if search date = earliest date found
- Fixed bug where artists with leading "The" would return zero results
- Use UpdateAll method to update DB, and tags as per user selection
- Results dialog shows name of album as well as artist and title and date
- Results header displays the number of results found and the total number of possible Discogs results. Will give some indication of usefulness.
- Current search info can be clicked to open a web page to your favourite music web service, using default web browser.
- Back-up your database!
- Install Earliest Date From Discogs
- Play A Song or Select Song(s) using MM
- Script will present a list of release dates for the currently playing song (user selectable up to 50)
- If panel is not visible after install click on View, then Earliest Date
- Search Earliest Date Using:
Self Explanatory. Can select either MusicBrainz or Discogs. Default on install is MusicBrainz.
- Maximum number of discogs masters to search
User selectable from 1 - 100 only if Discogs search enabled. Default on install is 15. The initial Discogs search searches for Master releases. For each master release the script will make another call to the API to search for the earliest date in the releases for that master. Each call to Discogs takes 1 second.
- Use 'Date' Field
Self explanatory. Script will update the "Date" Field instead of the "Original Date" field with the earliest date found from Discogs. (Default is OFF for 'Original Date')
- Include the Release Month/Day (if available)
If the month and/or day of the release is available from Discogs the script will display those values and use them for updates to the database. If this option is selected then a release date with a day and or month of release is more significant than one without. For example a release date of Dec 31, 2011 has priority over Dec 2011 and this has priority over a release date of 2011. (Default is ON)
- Search Discogs only if preferred date field is empty
Self Explanatory. Discogs search will only occur if the date field one chooses to use is empty. If this option is selected users can force a search by clicking on the results dialog that is presented in the panel. (Default is OFF)
- Search by selected song(s)
Allows user to search by selected songs in now playing, main window, or node. By turning this option on Automatic DB updates will be forced on too. (Default is OFF)
- Automatically update DB with earliest date found
If checked the database (and tags if the option is set) are updated automatically without user intervention. The script will pick the earliest date available for you. Automatic updates are forced if searching by selected songs.
- Automatically update only if preferred date found is earlier
If selected will only update DB if the preferred date found is earlier than any existing value. (Default is OFF)
- Use specified value for the preferred date if no results found
Allows user to select a value between 1000 and 9999 to use as a year if a search for the earliest date finds no results. Can be because there are no dates for that song, tags are incorrect, or internet connection is down. Default is OFF and "9999".
- Result Display Settings
Controls how the UI is shown. Because the dates found are now automatically sorted from earliest to latest the number of radio buttons displayed can be kept to a minimum. User is allowed to select between 1 and 50 results displayed. Default is 5.
User is also allowed to choose what information is displayed. Default is Artist - Album - Song along with earliest date. Artist, Album and Song can be turned off if so desired. Minimum test displayed is the Earliest Date.
There are a few.....
- Script uses the old Discogs API endpoints. Will need to parse JSON when the XML endpoints are turned off by Discogs.