Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

johnny340

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 sync

Post by johnny340 »

I want to have large playlists. I have Samba setup for filesharing now. I was planning to delete all of the music and playlists off of the SD card (ext) and then sync via wifi and MM. Have you got a link or comment on setting up MM for this please?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well obviously, me too, but it seems the device only works with syncing up to around 40 tracks and doing this would confirm if any bugs in MediaMonkey remain. For Samba read: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 43#p350043
johnny340

Post by johnny340 »

Yes. It sounds like MM is not to blame and we'll have to wait for Samsung to make a reliable USB driver.
Samba works great (I just needed to make the network share into a virtual drive for MM to send to).
Thanks again for your help!
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

I have an S2 with ICS 4.0.3 and a PC with W7 64 bit. I tried the workaround solution posted above using the SAMBA filesharing app and it seems to work perfectly although on ICS the app is a bit glitchy. However, as the d_USBmass plugin syncs playists using m3u format rather than pla format, I wondered whether that had anything to do with the problem of syncing playlists samsung devices with ICS. I searched this forum looking for a way to force MM to sync m3u playlists when using MTP (as it isn't possible with the options available in MM 4.0.7.1510), and came across a post that suggested finding a an older version of the d_WMDM.dll plugin. I downloaded MediaMonkey_4.0.3.1476.exe from http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... d&start=30 and did a portable installation onto a USB stick, and then copied the d_WMDM.dll file and replaced the newer version in my PC installation with that. Using MTP I have synced playlists with over a hundred tracks with absolutely no problems i.e. it's fast with no 'unknown' artist or album entries in my stock player. I have had no problems with MM processes not getting closed down properly and so on.
My theory would be that although the default playlist format for the samung database is .pla, for syncing purposes the .m3u format seems to work better. The up-to-date version of d_WMDM.dll detects the S2 and decides it needs .pla playlists. Using the older version of d_WMDM.dll (still detects the phone okay) stops this from happening and syncs over large number of tracks and m3u playlists with no problems that I have discovered thus far.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure you're using the latest version of MediaMonkey 4.0.7 and that when you upgrade to it that you remove the Device Profile(s) (both internal and card if both exist) to get it to see the correct Playlist format support by the device. That at least should do the trick for the Note and S3 (not sure if for other Android devices).

You also should be able to force a specific playlist format by setting it as supported format in the Device Profile.
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

Lowlander wrote:Make sure you're using the latest version of MediaMonkey 4.0.7 and that when you upgrade to it that you remove the Device Profile(s) (both internal and card if both exist) to get it to see the correct Playlist format support by the device. That at least should do the trick for the Note and S3 (not sure if for other Android devices).

You also should be able to force a specific playlist format by setting it as supported format in the Device Profile.
I did what you suggest. I removed both device profiles and then re-installed MM 4.0.7.1510 and it correctly detects my phone (GT- I9100 - Card & GT- I9100 - Phone). On syncing it uses the .pla playlist format (default for Samsung I believe) and as a result my playlists are not correctly synced and I get the 'unknown' orphan entries for 'album' and 'artist' in the stock Samsung Music player. I went through the 'add supported format' process in the Device Profile but, as I said in my previous post, although it appears in the summary of supported formats it continues to sync the .pla playlist.
So, I went back and replaced the plugin with the older version and once again everything works perfectly. Conclusion: the problem of syncing playlists isn't really with MM (except you cannot force a specific playlist format in Device Profile) but with the Samsung media database in ICS on the Galaxy S2 (I don't know about other models) which works better with m3u playlists rather than the default .pla format. An effective workaround is to replace the d_WMDM.dll plugin with a previous version as described in my previous post. I would be interested to know if this works for other Samsung Android ICS based devices.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've entered 2 bugs for what you experience:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9961
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=9962

To expedite things I suggest you create a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of 4.0.7.1511 and send it to support referencing bug 9961: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
markav

Post by markav »

I am also using a Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile SHH-T999 running v4.0.4 OS) and am having extremely slow sync issues in MM 4.0.6.1501. I tried using the default MTP connection over USB and the sync was painfully slow (about 750 file ran for over 12 hours and never finished... I aborted it at around 500 files). I then installed a SAMBA server app on my Android (samba Network Fileshare) but wireless syncing via SAMBA was just as slow.

As an experiment, I installed WinAmp 5.6.3 (yeah... I know, I know but I had to try something) and tried syncing via SAMBA and the sync speed was quite fast... no problems. I then installed the WinAmp Android app and tried a wireless sync which also ran at acceptable speeds with no problems.

One other thing I noticed was that the transcoding speed in MM was also taking a big hit... so extremely slow transcoding + sync speeds both are killing the entire process. The WinAmp transcoding speed is completely acceptable... no problems.

Let me know if you need further info... I want this to work. Using WinAmp is a total PIA as WinAmp does not have anything close to the device sync functionality as MM.

TIA
Mark
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Transcoding setting differences can make a huge difference. So it only would be an Apples to Apples comparison if the transcoding settings were equal (bitrate/quality/etc.).
markav

Post by markav »

Thanks for the quick reply lowlander.

I understand the issue and think I was pretty close with settings. I tried both straight and transcoded syncs and had the settings in both MM and WinAmp setup similarly. I setup WA to transcode all lossless files because I use flac extensively on the desktop. Similarly I setup MM to transcode anything over 256K which would pretty much cover all my lossless files. The conversion settings in MM and WA were both set to 256K fast VBR presets so I think the tests were comparable.
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

Lowlander wrote: To expedite things I suggest you create a debug log (step 4b) with the debug version of 4.0.7.1511 and send it to support referencing bug 9961: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Thanks. I've submitted the log as suggested. Hope it helps.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

BTW I see that you tested previosuly with build 1510, but there was fixed something in this area in 1511,
so if you remove both device profiles and let 4.0.7.1511 to create new, are they OK then (including M3U)?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

And re the supported formats. I guess that you have both PLA and M3U in the supported formats. In that case the PLA is preferred. Try to remove PLA from the supported formats, does it help?
Vitus

Post by Vitus »

Ludek wrote:And re the supported formats. I guess that you have both PLA and M3U in the supported formats. In that case the PLA is preferred. Try to remove PLA from the supported formats, does it help?
It doesn't show PLA in the list of supported formats so I can't remove it. I've just sent an updated log as requested.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

@Vitus, did you remove the device profile(s) after upgrading? This is required to test the fix in 1511.