Add one file to Library

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey 5

Moderator: Gurus

ginaz

Add one file to Library

Post by ginaz »

I've read the help but I can't manage to add one new file to the library.

I purchased a new mp3 song. I have an existing folder I would like it to be included in. The file already resides in the folder.
The folder is Music\Pop\Petula Clark.
I tried Tools > Options > Library > Collections & Views and tried to drag and drop on top of Music but I could only get Copy to flash for an instant no matter how carefully I tried to use the mouse.

I'm afraid to just do a scan because more than once when I tried to do a scan it duplicated every entry in the library.

It seems like there should be a simple Import command with the option to browse and select a folder or file.

I was able to play the song in MM but it doesn't appear to be in the music list (all tracks) by title or artist.
Lowlander

Re: Add one file to Library

Post by Lowlander »

Scanning shouldn't duplicate anything.

D&D on a Collection root node in the Media Tree (not in Options) should also work to add the dropped file(s) to the MediaMonkey Library.
ginaz

Post by ginaz »

Thanks and the rescan worked. I think the problem in the past was the locations being scanned. I have MM pointing to my NAS but the scan also included a drive which has a copy of my music files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Scan will scan what you have selected to scan. So always make sure you only have folders selected you want included.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:43 am D&D on a Collection root node in the Media Tree[/url] (not in Options) should also work to add the dropped file(s) to the MediaMonkey Library.
What does the bolded section mean?
I don't understand.

As a related comment I think it would be good if tracks in the Folders node grew a "Add/Rescan to the library" option in their right click menu.

That would be a very convenient option to achieve what the Op is asking about.
I avoid all D&D operations, especially in MM5. I find them to be unreliable, although perhaps this may be fixed now.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Folders in the Folders node have add/rescan, files need to be Drag & Dropped onto a root Collection node (like Music or Entire Library) in the Media Tree.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Lowlander wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:59 am Folders in the Folders node have add/rescan, files need to be Drag & Dropped onto a root Collection node (like Music or Entire Library) in the Media Tree.
That is inadequate IMO.
  • non-discoverable: Who knew? How did they know? .. drag & drop from Folders node is not covered in online help .. The OP clearly didn't know. I didn't know. I suggest that no one knows.
  • what is a "root collection node? .. that term not defined in the online help ... trying to drag something into the Music node seems unintuitive to me .. what if it was a classical music track? .. the definition of the "music" collection then becomes altered to also encompass that classical track.. no, I didn't think so .... you mention the Entire Library node, but that is hidden by default, and can only be enabled by Gold customers ( I think .. true?)
  • Drag and Drop is a sub-standard feature in MM5 anyway, in my opinion ... I have been burnt by it multiple times, and no longer use that feature in MM5
It would be much more discoverable if the Track's context menu, in the folders node, had an "Add/Rescan to the Library" menu option
  • It would be more discoverable because it is listed in the menu, and you could help covering the option in the online help
  • it is easier to understand, because it is not suggesting that the track(s) will be added into some specific Collection, which is confusing to the max IMO
It seems a no brainer low cost improvement to MM5 to me.
What do you think?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MattTown

Post by MattTown »

ginaz wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:56 am I think the problem in the past was the locations being scanned ...
Lowlander wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 am always make sure you only have folders selected you want included.
I use MMW a lot and routinely bring new files into the library. I was not aware of the Drag & Drop feature - I probably played with it a long time ago but it probably confused me then. These days I simply invoke Add/Rescan files to the Library for single files, but I do have to pay particular attention to the locations list, in particular:
  • deleting previous scan paths that I no longer want to use, and
  • unselecting the main library path that I use for routine library scans, and then
  • using ADD LOCATION to browse down to the specific file that I want to add.
Then adding a single file to the library works well.
Barry4679 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:54 am ... it would be good if tracks in the Folders node grew a "Add/Rescan to the library" option in their right click menu.
I agree, it seems the simplest way to add single files without the user having to have secret knowledge about exactly how to go about a drag and drop.

Cheers
Matt
MM 2024.3019 (WEF 4 May 2024, Portable Mode), Gold lifetime license, user since 2009.
Currently 27K files. Library and music files are on a separate partition (E:\) on external USB drive.
Windows Surface Book (Original), i5, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.
Win10 Home 64 bit, update: 22H2 19045.3570
MMA 2.0.0.1103, Android 13 on Nokia XR20, music files on SD card.