Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Get answers about the current version of MediaMonkey for Windows

Moderator: Gurus

CosmicKnowledge
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 am

Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Windows is dead to me. All this spyware AI garbage has totally destroyed privacy. There's absolutely no way to use Windows ever again. Since everyone is jumping ship from Windows, will we finally get a MM that runs in Linux? I bought MM Gold but I can't use it because I no longer have Windows installed. I have no way to manage music anymore.
Lowlander
Posts: 59770
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for MAC is in the pipeline and getting closer to a test release. MediaMonkey for Linux would be further down the road if it gets developed.
CosmicKnowledge
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:24 am

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by CosmicKnowledge »

Lowlander wrote: ↑Wed Oct 29, 2025 5:33 pm MediaMonkey for MAC is in the pipeline and getting closer to a test release. MediaMonkey for Linux would be further down the road if it gets developed.
Mac is just as bad as Windows. I guess I'm back to 1999 editing playlists M3U files with a text editor.
phayes911
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2025 2:58 am

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by phayes911 »

I personally think a Linux version would be the best option.

I am using Windows 11 which is PURE GARBAGE as I keep getting errors and crashes.

However I am using Nuclear on Linus KDE Neon which is OK with NO issues.
Stormdancer
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:28 am

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by Stormdancer »

Literally the ONLY reason I ever boot into windows anymore is MM. I really, really want to see a Linux version of this software, or I'm just going to have to find something else.

I like MM, in my opinion it's the best library management out there. I want to stay with it. But not as much as I want to completely leave w11 behind.
IanRTaylorUK
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:41 pm

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

CosmicKnowledge wrote: ↑Wed Oct 29, 2025 5:30 pm Windows is dead to me.
A growing number of enthusiasts are turning to lightweight Windows builds and debloating utilities to reduce resource usage, remove unwanted Microsoft features, and improve performance on older or lower-spec hardware. One of the best-known examples is Tiny11, an unofficial stripped-down version of Windows 11 created by NTDEV. Tiny11 removes many bundled applications, optional components, and setup requirements, resulting in a significantly smaller installation footprint while remaining compatible with most standard Windows software. It is particularly popular for virtual machines, older PCs, and test environments where users want a cleaner installation without the usual collection of pre-installed apps and services. However, because it is a modified version of Windows rather than an official Microsoft release, users should carefully consider the support, security, and update implications before deploying it on production systems.

An alternative approach is to keep a standard Microsoft Windows installation and use optimisation tools such as WinHance, Chris Titus Tech Windows Utility, O&O ShutUp10++, ThisIsWin11, or NTLite. These tools focus on disabling telemetry, removing unwanted applications, tuning privacy settings, and managing optional Windows features without requiring a custom operating system image. WinHance, for example, provides a comprehensive interface for debloating Windows, removing components such as Copilot or OneDrive, adjusting performance settings, and even creating customised installation media. NTLite goes a step further by allowing users to build their own tailored Windows installation image, choosing exactly which components, drivers, and features are included. For most users, these utilities offer a safer and more flexible route than installing a heavily modified Windows build, as they start from a fully supported Microsoft release and can generally be reversed if necessary.

If you're looking for the current "best of breed", I'd generally categorise them as:
  • Tiny11: Best for very old hardware, VMs, or lab systems.
  • WinHance: Best all-round Windows debloating and customisation tool.
  • Chris Titus Tech Windows Utility: Best for power users who want extensive tuning options.
  • NTLite: Best for creating professionally customised Windows installation images.
  • O&O ShutUp10++: Best for privacy-focused configuration with minimal risk.
For business or primary work PCs, I would usually recommend Windows 11 + WinHance/NTLite/O&O ShutUp10++ rather than a fully modified distribution such as Tiny11, as this retains official support and a more predictable update experience.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor
PurpleLurple
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2026 2:09 pm

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by PurpleLurple »

Problem is, Windows updates can and will bring back unwanted bloat, so you'll have to keep up with things. Windows is dead...
Peke
Posts: 18747
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Windows 11 goes 1984, what now???

Post by Peke »

PurpleLurple wrote: ↑Sat Sep 05, 2026 2:00 am Problem is, Windows updates can and will bring back unwanted bloat, so you'll have to keep up with things. Windows is dead...
That is also possible you can kill and disable Update service. You can aalso use Windows for IoT distribution that do not phone as it is security risk to do that. There are still solutions I am on Win 10 for now.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
Image
Image
Image
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Post Reply