Similar Artists 2.2 - Updated 26/10/2013

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Similar Artists 2.2 - Updated 26/10/2013

Post by trixmoto »

This is a new script that was requested by Balance to be part of the MonkeyRok script, but I decided it should be separate.

This script loops through the artists of all the selected (or visible) tracks. For each one it creates a playlist and fills it with tracks from related artists, found by querying Last.Fm. Don't forget to play with the settings as there are some limits in there to stop massive playlists being created.

The installer can be downloaded from my website. Let me know what you think! :)
Last edited by trixmoto on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Very sweet.

Your almost there with a replacmenet/alternate implemntation of scrobblerdj...

All you need is an algorythm for selecting a random track or subset of tracks, and to auto-enqueue on the start of the last now playing track.
holterpolter

Post by holterpolter »

Great work, i like this script. Impressive how fast the playlists are created.
If you need a few ideas what you can improve for further versions.
a) There shoul be an option to create a subnode in the playlistnode called "Artist like ..." (or customize it via options) where each of the created playlists are stored to keep the original playlist node cleaner
b) a blacklist could be a nice option. If you start searching with a song from a sampler your script tries to find similar artist to "various artist" which does not make much sense.
c) a small summary screen, which tells you how many tracks your script found for a artist would be nice. Or something like this?
Diabolic-Destiny

Post by Diabolic-Destiny »

sweet will use it soon
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like!

@holterpolter - suggestions noted for the next version. :)
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
jsummers

Random playback

Post by jsummers »

A big thumbs up to the script, :D :D :D

Comments suggestions:

1. Could there be a option / setting to have the play list randomized? Currently it plays one artist for all there songs then all songs from the next artist in the play list. I would not want to loose this but would like it if I could have it random too, just complete random order of the similar artists selected by the script.

2. Could ratings be added to the sort also, I am not sure the best way. Maybe highest rated songs from that artist or only tracks with X number of stars?

All in all I like the script very much and as usual you have found something I did not know I wanted.... needed. So for that thanks :)
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Sometimes it's really hard to use MM3... :cry: :wink:
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks, I'm glad you like. Thanks also for the suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

Post by Guest »

Great script. An option to restrict the number of times an artist can appear would be good too.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm not sure what you mean. There's both an artist limit and a tracks per artist limit - what else are you suggesting I restrict?
JeffV64

neat neat neat

Post by JeffV64 »

Trix, this is great, thanks. I have but one suggestion --- it would be great if the selected artist could be part of the list using the same rules as the rest. So for example if I create a list of artists like The White Stripes it would be great if they could also be on that list. Make sense?

Thanks again,

Jeff

EDIT: Ok, another suggestion -- wouldn't it be great if we could limit by rating? And, have an option addressing how unrated songs are handled?

My last.fm profile thanks you.

Jeff
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into adding these in the next release.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (1.1) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added option to specify the parent playlist
- Added option to specify blacklist of artists to exclude
- Added option to randomise the playlists created
- Added option to include seed artist in playlist
- Added option to select highest rated tracks
- Added option to specify minimum track rating

Hopefully this is all the current requests dealt with! :)
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Very nice, I forgot how cool this was.

A couple more ideas for your consideration... :)

* option to auto-navigate to newly created playlist (meaning open the playlist node and go to the new playlist) so you can see it
* option to automatically enqueue newly created playlist
* option to overwrite existing artist playlist

If/when you add the enqueue option, you basically have a nearly complete scrobbler dj/auto-dj replacement script... all you would need is to have it call the script on the last track playback start (and not create the playlist, instead just enqueue to now playing).

Also, one little nit pick... I like the overwrite confirmation, however the completion 'ok' dialog is a bit annoying and seemingly un-necessary :cry:

edit:
oh also, genere exclusion would nice too (to prevent podcasts and the like), although I suppose if the script is updated for mm3 the the filters could be utilized.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Ok, thanks. I'll add these suggestions to my to do list as well! :)

Is there any need for this script to function like ScrobblerDJ though? What would be the point, if it's getting the same information. I think if I was going to write my own Scrobbler I would make sure that the artist from TrackA (ArtistA) gave me a new artist (ArtistB) and therefore TrackB. Then I would try to ensure that ArtistC was on the similar list of both ArtistA and ArtistB. I think this would help keep music within a single genre, or switch genres more smoothly. This script doesn't really fit with this logic.