Number of folders limitation with iRiver H300's

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Anubis

Number of folders limitation with iRiver H300's

Post by Anubis »

I just ran into the number of folders limitation in the iRiver H340. The firmware does not recognise more than 1999 folders with music in then. The files still get synch'd and are still there on the H340's hard disk, just not playable. <just another poor programming decision by the developers>

I'd like to see MM tell me how many folders it will be using in the summary page in the device profile panel for setting up synching. It already tells me the number of songs, so that I can keep below the 9999 number of file limitation.

I know this should be in the wishlist forum, but it's such a small thing, I'd really really like to see it in the released of 2.3. :D
jiri

Post by jiri »

It probably won't get into 2.3, but an updated plug-in can be released anytime later.

Btw, have you studied what's considered to be a folder, i.e. whether a path ?:\a\b\c\x.mp3 means that there are 3 folders?

Jiri
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Let me check, I'll be back in 9...
Last edited by Anubis on Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

ANY folder counts....
Whether it has music in or not...
So yes, x:\a\b\c\d.mp3 is counted as 3 folders.
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Is there any chance this feature will make 2.4?

More and more I am hitting more than 1999 folders, so I am putting a manual check in place after the syncing to my H340 and then adjusting accordingly.

This would save a considerable amount of time/effort on each major sync as I wouldn't even need to sync to see if I am over the number of folders.

Thanks
Anubis

Post by Anubis »

Now 2.4 has come and gone...
I'd like to remind the developers about this little thing that would help H300 series users who are bumping up against the number of folders limit.

What are the chances it will make 2.5?
drichm

Post by drichm »

This problem is not unique to iRiver

The iAudio U2 (flash player) has a 50 folder, 650 file limit. So I guess a general 'limit copy to...' option would be useful in many device plugins.

However, on further reflection, I think MM's current options are enough. If you are limited in the number of folders then sync to a root folder of <Artist@1>/ or whatever - so you have no more than 36 (A..Z, 0..9). Not a nice solution but a workable one.