MediaMonkey will not play my music

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

musicmike

MediaMonkey will not play my music

Post by musicmike »

I installed MediaMonkey on my new Compaq computer six months ago. I am running Windows 7. MM has always performed well and not given me any problems until today (I have over 7,000 songs in my library). When I click on the big red "play/pause" button, nothing happens. The music will not play. The button just toggles back and forth between "play" and "pause". I have uninstalled MM (version 3.2.1), then downloaded and installed the newer version (3.2.4), but this did not correct the problem. I get the same result when I use the "Play" pulldown menu button at the top of the screen. A few days ago, I installed "Uniblue Registry Booster" on the computer, and I have used it several times to clean up the Registry. (I wonder if this is what messed it up.)

I have considered reformatting the hard drive, then installing the Recovery Discs for the computer, and then reinstalling MediaMonkey. I don't want to do this unless it will fix the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? My principal use for this computer is for playing my music collection, and now I am dead in the water. PLEASE HELP!!
musicmike

Re: MediaMonkey will not play my music

Post by musicmike »

Lowlander,

I tried most of your suggestions, but nothing worked. The music files are not greyed out. The library is on the C drive and is accessible. I played a CD and it plays fine, and its sound is normal. When I try to play the mp3 or wma files in my music library, the play/pause button just toggles back and forth and the music file is not played.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

musicmike wrote:Lowlander,

I tried most of your suggestions, but nothing worked. The music files are not greyed out. The library is on the C drive and is accessible. I played a CD and it plays fine, and its sound is normal. When I try to play the mp3 or wma files in my music library, the play/pause button just toggles back and forth and the music file is not played.
You probably have your output plugin configured to the wrong output device. Options > Output plugins > Configure, in the drop-down menu change the sound device to output sound to.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

musicmike

Post by musicmike »

An update to those of you who responded to my request for help:

I had just about given up on MediaMonkey, so I downloaded and installed Foobar2000 and Winamp. Each of these played my music without any problems. After that, I launched MediaMonkey again and gave it another try. Lo and behold, MediaMonkey began playing music properly!!!!

I have no idea why it began working properly again; maybe the Foobar and Winamp downloads added something which MediaMonkey needed to work properly again.

I am glad to finally have MM up and working again. It is way better than either Foobar or Winamp (or Windows Media Audio or RealPlayer.

I want to express my sincere thanks to those of you who responded to my problem.
fudge

Post by fudge »

I am having the same problem as 'musicmike's' original post.
Downloaded MM, imported music library - all looks fine - (not greyed out) BUT player will not play my music - it just toggles from 'playing' to 'stopped'!

I have tried all sorts, inc updating my DirectX component, so am getting pretty fed up with this situation.
Also downloaded WinAmp - but this didn't solve my MM problem as per mucismike's last post.

I'd be very grateful for advice, before i get too frustrated and get rid of it and use WinAmp instead.

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file type(s) don't play?
fudge

Post by fudge »

Mp3 files won't play
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

fudge wrote:I am having the same problem as 'musicmike's' original post.
Downloaded MM, imported music library - all looks fine - (not greyed out) BUT player will not play my music - it just toggles from 'playing' to 'stopped'!

I have tried all sorts, inc updating my DirectX component, so am getting pretty fed up with this situation.
Also downloaded WinAmp - but this didn't solve my MM problem as per mucismike's last post.

I'd be very grateful for advice, before i get too frustrated and get rid of it and use WinAmp instead.

Thanks.
You probably have your output plugin configured to the wrong output device. Options > Output plugins > Configure, in the drop-down menu change the sound device to output sound to.

Fudge

Post by Fudge »

I have it set to 'MediaMonkey Direct Sound OUtput', it maks no difference if i change it to 'waveOut output V2.0.2a

WOuld you recommend any other plugin?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to actually configure the output plugin that is enabled (select it and click the Configure button) and then follow steps as indicated by Nohitter151.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=101
Fudge

Post by Fudge »

Ah, thanks Lowlander and nohitter 151, but still no luck.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you try:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Fudge wrote:Ah, thanks Lowlander and nohitter 151, but still no luck.
Are you sure? the only time I ever had the same symptoms as you (click the play button but it does nothing) was because wrong sound card was picked in the output plugin config. What options are listed there? Did you try them all?>