Cue support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

statik

Cue support

Post by statik »

Been using MM Gold for quite a while now, and it's kick-ass obviously (as you know). BUT; I'm really really missing cue support, being an avid user of electronic music, most of the albums I have are mixed and come in single mp3-format with an accompanying cue file.
Most of these cue files have registered artist and title for each track, and it would be a huge plus for me and many others if you could enable MM to read these.
There is a plugin available for winamp which basically just pops up a new window when a mp3 file with a corresponding cue is loaded (automatically loads it when it has the same title and is in the same folder as the mp3).

Seeing as it's probably a simple task too (a cue is basically just a txt file with index points and track info), I hope you will consider it, it certainly would make MM a much bigger hit with me and my peers.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

CUE sheet support is something that will take a lot of work to do properly in MM, so although it is being considered, it won't be in this version.

However, if you can explain to me what it is that you want, I might be able to write a script to do some of it in the mean time.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
statik

Post by statik »

Well, the best thing would be for the one long mp3 to be parsed up into tracks when adding it to the MM database, not physically ofcourse, just that each track of the mp3 is registered seperatley. That would give you a huge leg up on the competition BTW. But that would probably be alot of work...

What I'd like is basically some way of reading the index provided by the cue sheet when playing long mp3s.

I want to be able to skip to track 3 of an mp3 without manually searching; the position and track info is all provided by the cuesheet; so it's just a matter of creating a script that links the index to the mp3 and lets you use the cue file to navigate the mp3.

Kinda hard to explain, but I hope you get my point?

The winamp plugin uses a separate window to display the tracks; kinda like a separate playlist for the cue file.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I think I can create a script which allows you to open a cue sheet and list the chunks within, allowing you to skip straight to that point in the large track before playing. I'll have a play and post a link here if I do get a working version. I don't however have a CUE to test this with. Could you please email me a small(ish) track with corresponding CUE sheet? I know typically they are large, but maybe if you could create me a small example to work with?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I can provide you with more than One.

Here is one small one, replace Filename with one you want and save this to <Filename>.CUE

Code: Select all

FILE "C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Cuesheet Editor\c.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Is it love"
    PERFORMER "CHILLY HI-FI"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    INDEX 02 00:15:00
    INDEX 03 00:20:00
    INDEX 04 00:25:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Night Train"
    PERFORMER "KADOC"
    INDEX 01 00:45:00
One thing Desired Filename must be MP3 and at least 49 Seconds in length. With these Modifications you can burn that Cue to CD with Nero or CDRWIN or FireBurner,....
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I am now writing a script to allow you to play the tracks within a track, using CUE sheets. Maybe if the MM team are not planning to develop CUE sheet support soon, I might be able to extend the script further.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Quick question, which would you rather....

1) Script automatically loaded if there is a matching cue sheet (this would only work if the cue sheet had the same name as the mp3)

2) Script run manually to allow you to load matching cur sheet for current song (also needs names to match)

3) Script run maually, allowing you to enter cue sheet, therefore allowing you to run the track without having to find it in your library first.

4) Something else entirely which I haven't thought of! :)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Why would you want to have more than one index for a track (as in your example)? What should this allow you to do?
statik

Post by statik »

Never seen a cue with more than one index, atleast not for mp3s... Standard is only one index.

I think number 1 is the better solution. Cue sheets normally have the same name as the mp3; if they don't it often causes problems when burning and such too, so I think it fair to assume that they match.

Great stuff mate, tremendously appreciated! :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Ok Here is One more little bit complexed:

Code: Select all

FILE "C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Cuesheet Editor\c.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Is it love"
    PERFORMER "CHILLY HI-FI"
    INDEX 02 00:15:00
    INDEX 03 00:20:00
    INDEX 04 00:25:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Night Train"
    PERFORMER "KADOC"
    INDEX 01 00:45:00
 FILE "C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Cuesheet Editor\t.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "Do you feel pain"
    PERFORMER "Spacefrog"
 FILE "C:\Program Files\Borland\Delphi7\Projects\Cuesheet Editor\y.mp3" MP3
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Is it love"
    PERFORMER "CHILLY HI-FI"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well, you didn't say there could be more than one file! That complicates things! This script will only read the indexes for the track you are currently playing.

Progress, for those who are interested:

@ 14:45 07/12/2005
- script checks mp3 on-play for matching cue sheet
- cue sheet header (FILE ... MP3) validated
- track indexes read successfully (reads INDEX 01 and ignores others)

Will keep you posted :)
statik

Post by statik »

well I've never had a cue sheet with more than one mp3, so that's no problem for me... Sounds good trixmoto!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Another quick question: I presume if there is only one track that the script should just exit without appearing?
statik

Post by statik »

Only one track, as in... only one track in the cue sheet? Yeah, well, there wouldn't be a point in the cuesheet anyways then ;)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

No, but the first thing you learn (after many many many versions of your first program) is that you have to think of (and code for) every possibility! :)