Browse By Art 4.9 [MM2]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Browse By Art 4.9 [MM2]

Post by trixmoto »

This script will create a new node under Album called Artwork. When you click on this link, a webpage will load in MM (this currently takes a while to prrocess, so be patient!) which will show you all your albums in alphabetical order, with artwork. Click on the artist/ablum link to go to that node.

This is a first release, please leave your comments here so I can make the second release better! :)

:o NEW CODE BELOW :o
Last edited by trixmoto on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:08 am, edited 11 times in total.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I get error:

"Error #5 - MS VBscript runtime error
invalid procedure call or arguement
file: "j:\program files\mediamonkey\scripts\auto\browsebyart.vbs", line 125, column 4"
mjs93

Post by mjs93 »

Sounds cool! But I get this error:

Error #438 - MS VBScript runtime error
Object doesn't support this property or method: 'Script.RegisterEvent'
File: "c:\program files\mediamonkey\scripts\auto\browsebyart.vbs", line 25, column 2
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The first error is possibly due to a quote (") symbol in one of your artist names. I've handled single quote (') but forgot the double so I'll fix that to see if that works.

The second problem is probably because you don't have the newest version of MM (2.5.2) which is needed because it has the latest scripting functionality.

Thanks for reporting these errors.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Investor

Post by Investor »

Initial feedback.

1. When I click on the Artwork node the Activex prompt comes up, which on my machine means that it must be operating locally - which is good.

2. Having given permission it took 128 seconds to load!

3. The view is very good and not disimilar to your Advanced Report. One minor problem with the display is that covers aren't always lined up neatly where <album artist> - <album> is a long string.

4. Clicking on a cover opens up the album under the Album node very well. As I have an Explorer mouse, I clicked on the back button as an experiment. Interestingly, the activex prompt came up and I gave it permission again - but then nothing happened. So I clicked on the Artwork node again to return to the cover browser; gave permission again and waited for what turned out to be another 128 seconds. At this point I got the following error:

Error#- 2147024726

Line: 140
Col: 2

5. Closed out MM and got a Com Server warning.

6. Re-opened MM and tested the loading with a song playing. I noticed that the player displays were slower, probably due to the process pull, but the track still played fine. The Player returned to normal once the images were loaded. But again, if I moved nodes and then returned, I got the error.

7. The script doesn't seem to cache anything at the moment, which would speed things up. But I'm sure you have that planned.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

I can confirm the error in Line: 140 Col: 2 . It didn't even display album art in my case, and it took a long time before producing the error. I agree that catching the thumbnails (maybe inside the access db?) is going to speed things up.

Thanks for the effort!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks for the detailed report.

I am working on how to cache the images. The trouble at the moment is knowing when to use the cache, and when to update. If you change the track properties and then click the artwork node and the cache is used then the artwork page won't display the changes. I am currently working on a system where the images are cached at system startup, and then updated when you change the track properties, so when you click the artwork node the images will already be correct. This will cut down on the load time hugely, but I'm not sure how stable it will be yet.

I don't really understand this error when the node is clicked for a second time. I know it happens sometimes, although I managed to stop it happening on my machine. I still don't actually know what is causing it. It can't seem to navigate to the page that is created. I'll try a time delay and see if it's because the file hasn't been stored fully yet.

This is definitely a work in progress and is FAR from complete. The next version will create a debug log as it's going along so when you get errors you'll be able to email me the file so I can easily see what went wrong!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions :)
vitorazevedo.com

excellent script - my suggestions

Post by vitorazevedo.com »

1. clear the "ActiveX" warnings
2. play album on click over image
3. image for the albuns without cover art

and in the future:
4. timeline with cover art

Keep up the good work!

Post by Guest »

Great work!
Works first time I select the Artwork node, but fails if I leave the node and try to go back to it.

Hope you can fix this cause I'm dying to browse my collection by album artwork :D
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

1) I cannot clear the ActiveX warnings because I do not work for Microsoft, therefore I cannot change the Internet Explorer security features. You can however change you settings so you don't get these messages.

2) Future versions will have more functionality, such as playing the album instead of viewing it.

3) "none.jpg" is used when there is no cover art. This is included with the installer or can be downloaded from http://trixmoto.net/files/none.jpg - of course you can put any image in the Scripts\Auto folder called none.jpg and this will be used.

4) "Timeline"? - Sorry I don't understand what you mean.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (1.1) is not an official release, more like a beta release. Hopefully it has the problem fixed with being accessed more than once.

A logfile will be created at Scripts\Auto\BrowseByArt.vbs.log which you can email to me if you have any problems.

Last edited by trixmoto on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

New version (1.2) is also an unofficial beta release. This will cache your images on startup and update them when you change track properties.

If you click on the node and see:
- Caching... then the initial creation of images is still happening, give it some time.
- Updating... then you have recently edited tracks and these new images are being create, wait a sec.
- Loading... then the images are ready and the page is being create (should take about 5-10 secs).

Please report on stability and speed (the logfile is still created so feel free to email them to me with any problems).

Last edited by trixmoto on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
vitorazevedo.com

Post by vitorazevedo.com »

by "timeline" I mean a chronological bar displaying our albuns by release date, kinda like:

_____
2005 | Radiohead Cover Art
| Oasis Cover Art
2004 | ...

but its just a suggestion :)
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Idea;

Create one frame .htm file like

Code: Select all

<html>
   <frameset rows="*">
      <frame name="AlbumArt" src="temp.htm">
         <noframes>
            <body>
               <p>Your browser do not support frames, bad luck! ;-)</p>
            </body>
         </noframes>
   </frameset>
</html>
Feed this frame various by replacing 'temp.htm' with current level .htm

Make the script only scan two levels down for album art, and it would become sort of a catalogue.
Group 1st level 1st <subfolders>
Group 2nd level 2nd.

ie.

In a file structure like
\Artist\Album\

1st level = picture and description of the artist(s)
2nd level = picture and description of the album, under that artist.

Ruff as guts description, as I'm a bit short on time, more later...
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

So you want to be able to select an artist and see all of the albums by that artist? I will think about this idea and try to incorporate it in a future release.

Are you using version 1.2 - do you like the improved speed?