Folder (Copy) Problem With Audio CDs

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Folder (Copy) Problem With Audio CDs

Post by Peke »

A problem. When You instert An audio CD and select 'send to/folder (Copy)' and copy track from CD. MM Rip that track Encode it in desired format and than Rename to 'Track 1.CDA' instead for example 'Seal - Fly.MP3'. Same thing is happening when an Audio CD Track exists in Virtual CD and then try to copy with 'send to/folder (Copy)' it stays in Virtual CD format but it is renamed to 'Track 1.CDA'
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Willem

Post by Willem »

Just now I was puzzled by a few files in the "Virtual CD not playable" playlist.

On Virtual CD I found the files, but they all had the extension cda.

I searched the forum for "cda" and fell upon this topic

I had a closer look at the files. They were made on the same day 28/07/2003 and between 20.000 and 50.000 kB. When I opened one of them in a HEX editor I noticed the text "WAVEfmt " from byte 8 till 16.

I renamed all files with "wav" in stead of "cda", outside MediaMonkey.
I could play the files, but they were no longer known to MediaMonkey. I tried
File -> Locate, Moved/Missing Tracks...
File -> Maintain Library...
but couldn't recover them.

Then I repared the CacheStatus and CacheName in MediaMonkey.mdb.

The funny thing now is that the files in the "Virtual CD not playable" are playable.

Afterwards I searched my Virtual CD directory for "wav"-files and found out, that for some obscure reason around that time I had saved songs in the wav-format.
rusty

VCD as wave --> problems

Post by rusty »

I tried saving VCD tracks to wav, but had no luck reproducing the problem you describe. Any more info would be appreciated.

-Rusty
Willem

Post by Willem »

Oh, I didn't want to bother you with this as a problem or a bug. The files were saved to Virtual CD almost a year ago and I don't know anymore how I did it, nor with what version. I think it should have been Songs-DB_1_4_Preview_519.exe or Songs-DB_1_4_Preview_540.exe, which I've downloaded on 28/07/2003.

The only reason I documented what I did, is to help somebody else with not playable songs. Apparently some can be "repaired" just by renaming them.

In the mean time I've found some other, ogg- and wma-files, that had a cda extension erroneously.
WMA-files have the text "W.M./.W.M.A." twice between byte 170h and 1c0h.
OGG-files start with "Ogg" and it is found again somewhere before 30h.

When I wrote "but couldn't recover them", I only meant they still weren't known to MediaMonkey. But, please, don't worry about it.