MM 3.0.0.1081 Decimal tempo is not preserved

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

lindholm
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 am

MM 3.0.0.1081 Decimal tempo is not preserved

Post by lindholm »

I like to tag my wav files with the tempo down to 1 decimal point, like:

title@123.4

MM is storing the rounded value, either via track preferences, or
from <BPM> auto-tag so I'm losing a small piece of precision there.
I don't mind having the tempo reported to nearest integer, but I would
really like it if the tempo as I defined be preserved.

Thanks
Guest

Post by Guest »

you mean tag in the filename? I'm assuming so, because you're talking about WAV's

mediamonkey i think tries to avoid placing periods in filenames before the extension (although windows fully supports doing this, and only reads the last occurrence of a period in a given filename to determine extension), so instead of using another character, like a comma, it rounds it
Teknojnky
Posts: 5537
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Teknojnky »

wav's can have tags

and I believe that the tempo/bpm field is according to specification, an integer... meaning any application who preserves/writes decimal places is not standard.

(whether id tag standards should apply to wave files, is another question entirely)
lindholm
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 am

Post by lindholm »

Teknojnky wrote:wav's can have tags

and I believe that the tempo/bpm field is according to specification, an integer... meaning any application who preserves/writes decimal places is not standard.

(whether id tag standards should apply to wave files, is another question entirely)
I suspect that that may be true with the mp3 spec, but MM database can
just as easily store the value as a float rather than a integer and just convert
it when updating an mp3 file.


The problem I have is that I used to be able to parse my wav file name with
MM 2.5, and this no longer works with MM 3. Also having MM 3 accept a float in one place and not another is confusing.
britesc
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Spain

Re: MM 3.0.0.1081 Decimal tempo is not preserved

Post by britesc »

Does anyone know if this will be fixed soon so that we can store decimal values as well as the integer values.
Obviously there is a distinct difference in tempo between 123.01 and 123,99 so when making a mix it would be nice to have a more precise value stored rather than 123.00

Thanks
jB
rusty
Posts: 9092
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:39 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: MM 3.0.0.1081 Decimal tempo is not preserved

Post by rusty »

Hi,

Re. support for more granular BPM field, this is considered 'urgent'--i.e. planned for the next release of MM. See:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=3032

Lindolm:
You mentioned:
The problem I have is that I used to be able to parse my wav file name with MM 2.5, and this no longer works with MM 3.
Can you explain?

Also, you said:
Also having MM 3 accept a float in one place and not another is confusing.
. Can you elaborate on that as well? Are you saying that BPM field accepts a float for some formats and not others?

Thanks.

-Rusty
zlonik
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:30 am
Contact:

Re: MM 3.0.0.1081 Decimal tempo is not preserved

Post by zlonik »

I NEED this feature too! How can I support it?
Post Reply