monkey is the biggest baddest media organizer around.. he started out a cute little chimp.
he is now a 700 pound ape that does more faster then any other program made to do the same things, of which there is no other programs that does all the stuff he does.
so here goes a short and simple as i can make it.
1. install mediamonkey remove start icons for other media players but don't remove them from your computer monkey uses some lic. and other stuff from some other players so might as well just leave them there but remove their icons, and use only monkey.
2. forget what other programs do when you are using mediamonkey.
3. go through the options in mediamonkey set up what you want them like, but i suggest turning on the one for "use user friendly masks " and the one for " create playlist for recently added files "
4. scan in your songs in your system by using the file menu in monkey and click on the add / rescan link.
5. now on that panel pick the folders you want monkey to scan, and set up the type of file formats he is to look for.
6. after that is finished. you then go to the playlist node in the music explorer tree of monkeys, and expand it to find the recently added playlist.
7. click on the list look at all the songs in the list any tag info that was not in the songs is missing on them in that list. fill it in and make sure you got it all correct, ( there are scripts to do this all in mass incase you have tons of songs ).
8. after you get it correct you then select all the songs in the list if you have tons of ram, if not select them in small groups at a time. now go to the menu bar in monkey go to the tools menu and click it now look at the links and click on the one that says advanced tag management, now on its menu click on the one that says sync tags, or sync database.
do that for all the songs you have just put in the list. it will make all the data in monkeys db file match the data in each songs tag so all will be correct.
9. after all that is finished you then need to select them all or in small groups again. and then go back to the tools menu. and this time click on auto organizer, it will pop up the panel and show you a double list left side is where they are going to be moved right list is where they are at when monkey loaded them in the database.
look at the top of the panel there is a text line. there it is for you to type the pathway you want, you have options to use % signs or use the tags <artist> the \ mark is the separator that will cause everything between them to be a folder the last thing on the right will be the file name.
will put the song int he folder path for each of those tags the title tag is used for the song file name.
make sure you set that pathway up right and check the left list for any red highlight markings. those mean you have 2 or more songs with the same exact data going in to the same folder, monkey will put them all in the folder but it will over write the first ones with the next and make all but the last one disappear, so get more info in the pathway if you have any red highlight in that left list on the panel. then click the okay button.
monkey will move them to that pathway he will create folders if need be, you never again touch the file system through the windows explorer to deal with the music files let monkey do that. so he knows where the songs are at in the system, why because if you ever want to move one later he will adjust all his data for it including any playlists you put the song in and any album art you linked to the song. but if you move it in windows explorer he can't do that.
10. after everything is moved you should reboot the computer to make sure windows won't give you any headaches cause of the large amount of files moved, which windows will like to do most the time and make you have errors. so reboot and don't give windows the chance to do that.
11. your songs are now the way that you wanted them. if you need to edit the properties of one of the songs just right click on the song and click on the properties link, then type in the info. click okay. it is changed or should be when monkey closes.
12. Never, Never. NEVER. select a group of songs and then click edit. and then type in the information on the one song and check the check box on the right of the text lines. that will change the information on all the selected songs to match that one song you typed in the changes on. so you would end up with how ever many number of songs you selected all being the same song. that will be a mess to fix if you even could fix it. which you could but it would be one at a time and you would have to have had the path way with all the folders in the tags so you would still have the info for the songs, cause monkey would not move them just change the info in that situation.
13. there is an gold version auto organizer it will do the same as the one on the tool bar that us free users can use. but if you got the gold version you also have a file monitor that will do the moving when it sees any song file in the folder you told it to monitor so make sure your song is tagged correctly before you put it in that folder.
14. you can also just very carefully click in the songs column on the playlist or list view area and type in the data there with out opening the properties panel. just click on the field once then wait a second and click again. its a very slow double click. if you do a fast one it might start playing that song.
15. all this has been said before but the forum has so many posts now it looks like it was needed again. which is why you did not find it easily when searching.
yes for me that is short.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16724
for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at viewtopic.php?p=44008#44008
Xp pro sp3, vers 3.2 jukebox, pcchips mb. amd sem... built by me) 2.
WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.2 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.
WinXp pro sp 3 version 2.5 and version 3.2 work gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 4.
Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 5.
WinXp pro sp3, vers 2.5.5, moms computer. Sony vaio.)6.
Samsung Galaxy Note2. Android 4.4) 7.
Proscan tablet Android 4.3 )