Winamp plugin with Mediamonkey

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

danhackley

Winamp plugin with Mediamonkey

Post by danhackley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:19 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to use a Winamp plugin with Mediamonkey. I was to use this VU Meter made for Winamp:

http://www.winamp.com/plugin/stereo-ana ... -rms/41743

Any help appreciated!

D
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3

rovingcowboy

Re: Winamp plugin with Mediamonkey

Post by rovingcowboy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:22 pm

some old style plugins from winamp will work. some will not. new ones only if they were made to work with the old classic style of winamp do they have a chance at a might work status. :)

if they don't work then you can now with the new skin dreadm made and my new skin. have the choice of 4 skins with vu meters in for monkey.

and monkey while not smooth movements in the song. does keep correct volume with the meters because they work off the same rythum that the sine wave works from. the monkey uses a code to signal the sine wav to show an image at different settings in peak volume values. this is how the flashing bars in mediamonkey work, in my skins and others where images are used instead of bars. (which the bars are just images of lines anyway) the sine wav uses those images
according as to how many number of steps it is to make when setting the peak volume values. the skins that use line images or small images like that make mostly the limit of 10 steps. my vu meters are one step per line on the scale.
plus one for off postion.

so my new skin called cocomarantz has 20 steps for the meter to show peak volume settings.
the sine wav is told by the player ini section for the visualiation how many steps there are.

now the following goes with out saying almost. but the more steps the smoother it will be. how ever monkey can not have more then 23 steps in the code, and even 23 might not work. the bigger the images used the less dpi is needed and the less steps this is because the monkey needs to load the images in to the cache.

now on the original skins they used the lines and had them all on one image. so that might be able to use more then 23 steps and get a good smooth movement with the lines. but i'm not sure on that as i don't do line metes any more.

now if you look at the concert skin i did those lights are the vu meter's and are huge. they are down to 42 dpi and 17 images any more steps then 17 with that size of image won't work. they can't get loaded fast enough.

but small needle meters with only the needle changing and the images in lower dpi settings just might go more then 23 but most the meters don't have that many lines in their scale. but if a skinner wanted to make the extra images with the needle pointing between the lines on the scale it might be smoother.

but the whole point of this is to show you that even thought the plugins that use meters are either using coded line movements or tons of images and that is why they are smooth.
they are not really any more correct on volume peaks then mediamonkey's way of making the vu meter images.
they are just a lot smoother.

i don't want to sit here and make the 300 images for the needle meter's to look that smooth and really don't want too if monkey can't handle more then 23 or 30 images anyway?

:D
Last edited by rovingcowboy on Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

danhackley

Post by danhackley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks - any how do you get them to work (the ones that will work) ?
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2
Looking for jukebox software that manages a large collection, has good album art integration and plays flac as well as MP3

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:46 pm

mediamonkey has a fake wiamp exe in its folder. just install the winamp plugin and when it asks where the winamp exe is put the location for the mediamonkey folder on the list and then press install the plugin will be loaded in mediamonkeys folder for plugins.

if the plugin works you will know when you go to mediamonkey's options and pick it to turn it on.

i was editing my previous post to you so go back and see why other meters are not really any different then monkey's.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:56 pm

see here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=102

Not all winamp plugins are compatible with MM, though generally speaking most winamp version 2 plugins work with MM (and usually winamp version 5 plugins do not work)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

danhackley

Post by danhackley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I have managed to get the above VU Meter plugin to work, though only in standalone mode. It lists as 2 separate plugins, one as standalone and the other as integrated. When I select integrated and click to start, it seems to flash up onto the screen before disappearing again.

Can anyone else get this plugin to work with MM in an integrated window?
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:49 pm

danhackley wrote:Thanks for the replies!

I have managed to get the above VU Meter plugin to work, though only in standalone mode. It lists as 2 separate plugins, one as standalone and the other as integrated. When I select integrated and click to start, it seems to flash up onto the screen before disappearing again.

Can anyone else get this plugin to work with MM in an integrated window?
I would guess that if there is no ability to turn the integrated panel on/off under the "View" menu that it's specifically designed for Winamp and won't work properly in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

danhackley

Post by danhackley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 pm

I think you're probably right. I was hoping to use a VU meter with my current skin....maybe I should learn how to program...
Sony Vaio Laptop
Thecus N5200B NAS
Windows 7
MM3 Gold 3.2