Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

QMan71
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:25 am

Sync Random Subset with Playlists

Post by QMan71 »

Hi, I've been using MM for years to sync with my devices from playlists.
I've always used the sync random subset up to device capacity option because my playlists are usually a lot bigger than my devices (especially for exercise).

After updating to MM 4 recently I seem to have lost the ability to sync a random subset from a playlist on the Auto-Sync List tab of the device configuration.
It appears for Music, Classical Music, Available Tracks and Music Video but not for Playlists.

Now when I sync my devices it tells me there is not enough space on the device (yes, I know that!) and if I continue I just get the first X number of songs from the playlist before it says there is not enough room and I have to cancel it.
Because I have to cancel it the playlists don't get copied to the device either.

Is it hidden somewhere really cunning or has MM just lost one of the most important bit of functionality? (for me anyway)
Please tell me there is some way to do this in MM 4?

If not, how do I revert back to MM3? It said the library was being updated when I installed the update so I imagine it's not as easy as just reinstalling the old version?

Thanks in advance.
QMan
QMan71
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:25 am

Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by QMan71 »

Hi, I've been using MM for years to sync with my devices from playlists.
I've always used the sync random subset up to device capacity option because my playlists are usually a lot bigger than my devices (especially for exercise).

After updating to MM 4 recently I seem to have lost the ability to sync a random subset from a playlist on the Auto-Sync List tab of the device configuration.
It appears for Music, Classical Music, Available Tracks and Music Video but not for Playlists.

Now when I sync my devices it tells me there is not enough space on the device (yes, I know that!) and if I continue I just get the first X number of songs from the playlist before it says there is not enough room and I have to cancel it.
Because I have to cancel it the playlists don't get copied to the device either.

Is it hidden somewhere really cunning or has MM just lost one of the most important bit of functionality? (for me anyway)

Please re-add the random subset functionality for playlists.

Thanks in advance.
QMan
Lowlander
Posts: 59771
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists

Post by Lowlander »

I already reported this during the Beta cycle and it is very upsetting as syncing is useless in this form: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8304

I currently have to sync a size limited AutoPlaylist (luckily I only sync a single AutoPlaylist) several times to get a simulated random subset of the original AutoPlaylist on my device.
astroworm

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by astroworm »

I have discovered this same problem. Has anyone found a workaround for this?
Lowlander
Posts: 59771
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by Lowlander »

I presume that you can create a Collection with the same rules as the AutoPlaylist and then Random Subset should work. Just remember that you need to leave Collections enabled to be able to select them during sync.
none

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by none »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/gold/

"Advanced AutoPlaylists

Create advanced AutoPlaylists which automatically generate a music mix to suit your mood. Just define practically any set of criteria and the mix is automatically created.

Synchronize Advanced Playlist with Portable Devices, giving you the perfect tool for rapidly downloading a subset of your collection to your device. For example, you can choose to sync a random subset totalling 256 MB of music that match a defined set of criteria.

For the average user, creating a music mix and synching it couldn't be easier."

Really??? According to Ludek this 'feature' has been removed as of v4, yet the old (great) feature is still described as being available?

Shame that this functionality was removed really, and the workaround leaves a lot to be desired.
none

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by none »

False Advertising?

And the workaround stinks.

If i want to accomplish the same thing that used to work (syncing random subset to capacity of device) with my 20+ autoplaylists...I have to create 20+ new collections that link to each of the playlists??? Come on now!

Please re-enable the above functionality. (sync random subset with playlists).

Thanks!
none

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by none »

Seriously, I hate to have to complain but you leave me no choice...

I just spent at least 2+hrs creating 5 new collections based on pre-existing playlists which is a major PIA for something that I done in the past (creating playlists for syncing based on specific criteria).

What happens after I select "share columns"....MM somehow blows away all the previous playlist associations with each newly created collection, so that I have to re-associate the playlist with each newly created collection (that I wish I did not need to have to do in the first place).

Fun.

Seriously, can't you just fix this instead of making us have to use a workaround which basically involves us having to re-do things in a different way to accomplish something that worked in a previous version?

Not intuitive at all. In fact counter-productive to say the least.

Please fix!
turls
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:25 am

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by turls »

Long time MediaMonkey Gold user. You have to admit this is a ridiculous limitation/omission. And I see no response that it is even acknowledged as a bug?

Everything is moving to the cloud, our devices are getting filled with apps, not MP3s. Many devices charge outrageous amounts for additional memory that is hard to justify. This feature is more important than ever.
nohitter151
Posts: 23640
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by nohitter151 »

turls wrote:Long time MediaMonkey Gold user. You have to admit this is a ridiculous limitation/omission. And I see no response that it is even acknowledged as a bug?
A few posts up:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8304
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
turls
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:25 am

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by turls »

I mainly sync to devices by limiting to only 4 star, 4.5 star, etc. So the discussion about it negatively affecting playlists to use a random subset doesn't really apply the way I sync...

Not sure I am deciphering all the banter on the Mantis page but I just want the same functionality I had before, which worked just the way I needed it to for my situation (and I imagine many others).
Benco9898

Re: Can't Sync Random Subset with Playlists [#8304]

Post by Benco9898 »

I agree. My workaround is to clear the Now Playing list, select playlist I want to sync from, right click and "play next" (putting all of the songs in the playlist in the Now Playing list). Then randomize the Now Playing list to your satisfaction. Then select all or a portion of the songs in the Now Playing list, right click and "send to" the device.
Post Reply