way to sort by album art dimension?

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Gar

way to sort by album art dimension?

Post by Gar » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 am

I'd like to sort by art dimensions. That way, I can edit the ones that have tiny album art and put it better images.

Any ideas on how to do this?

--Gar

Hooah

Post by Hooah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:05 am

Thats a good idea. I am sure some of my album art is not up to standards. I would love to have a script where I could sort them on quality.
wokou

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:04 am

Good idea - I'll put it on my to do list! :)

Question though; what if there is multiple artwork? Calculate the average size? Maybe use the min or max size instead?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:27 pm

If you are using external album files you don't need media monkey for this task.
Windows Explorer will automatically show a column with the image size in pixels for all "image" files.
Just choose the "detail" display mode and right-click on a column header to add a column for "dimensions".

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:23 pm

I think a script to reveal the size of the 'Cover (front)" embedded image would be very helpful in locating undersize images that display poorly.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:22 am

I've tried this and not got anything useable. I can calculate the sizes, but it's slow, painfully slow. Especially if you then try to sort them. I was saving a value in one of the custom fields so that you could sort them in MM, but because it is sorted alphabetically not numerically you have to add leading zeros...
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

Bex

Post by Bex » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:18 am

To sort a text field numerically, try this:
Order By Val(Customfield)
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 am

I meant when you click on the custom field name in the main window, MM sorts the field alphabetically.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:30 am

Ok, I've got something working. Do people want the size to be based on the minimum, maximum, average or other (please specify) image size?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:15 pm

> Do people want the size to be based on the minimum, maximum, average or other (please specify) image size?

Well, the problem I want to solve, and looks like others, too, is to find the cover art that's small and blurry so I can replace them with better images.

The question you're asking, I think, is what to do when songs have multiple images?

If the script just handled "front cover" images, that would probably help most of us. Maybe it could be a parameter in the script to pick which image type.

After that, maybe min, max, and average could also be selectable (by comment/uncomment) in the script. If I had to choose, I would prefer min because it would allow me to remove small images, even if there are multiple images.

BTW, how are you calculating image size? I don't think we want just physical byte size because then an image with large dimensions, but heavy compression, could appear small. I suggest image dimensions, or, to boil it down to a single number for sorting, number of pixels (height*width).

Thanks for you efforts!
--Gar

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:35 am

The trouble is, you can have multiple front covers! The script is almost ready for release, I'm just creating a form so people don't have to edit the script to change the parameters. It does calculate size by width*height, and there is the option of min/max/average/total/first. The first image is the one which is displayed in the album art pane, so I figured this would be an important one.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:01 am

Ok, this script is now available here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12042

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Hah! That's great! Works perfectly!

Thanks, trixmoto.

--Gary

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:19 am

Glad you like! :)

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:19 pm

Thanks Trixmoto, I like it and it is working well for me.
I like the fact that it uses one of the custom fields (now named "art size") as I can review this easily along with other data as I am playing songs in my db.