Suggestions for music file icons

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Sun May 28, 2006 7:43 pm

Peke wrote:I like First One Vertical with Bolded Text.
Which one do you mean exactly?
(Is it one from the above post, or from an earlier post...)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Sun May 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Steegy wrote:This seems a nice solution for those that want to recognise file type in 16x16 small icons too:

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
these look great IMO, simple yet informative.

May want to include colors for other more common music files too tho, flac etc.

edit:

Also, I don't kow if there is an 'official' color palette for audio files, but may also want to consider putting related file types on similar colors (different shades).

Perhaps lossless types be shades of green, lossy files shades of red, CD-audio/wave blue, etc etc.

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Mon May 29, 2006 5:53 am

Sneak preview of the "ColoredNoteWithText" Icons with a separate 16x16 design.
(There's a version without separate design for the 16x16 size too, but these 16x16's are not as nice).
ImageImage

I'm quite sure that there's no "official" color for each music file type.
Variations on a color is a good idea, but the problem is that it's very difficult to see the difference between the variations. I'd like to see what file type it is in one blink of the eye. That's why the colors have to be different enough from each other.

File icons like m4b and m4p (maybe, but better buy unprotected instead...) will be added in the future.
I don't plan to add icons for wav, mid, midi, rmi, rm, Tracker formats, Module formats, ... as they are no real "music" formats (in my eyes). I do play them though. At max, a "global" icon can be used for these.

These are the "MonkeyOnly" Icons:
with either thisImageor thisImageas 16x16 icons.

For people not familiar with icon files: all sizes (48x48, 16x16, ...) are stored in one single file, with each size in different number of colors.
The included sizes are 48x48, 32x32 and 16x16. The included number of colors are 256 and XP (True Color).

These are just 2 types of icons. I plan to add more in the future (as already shown through this thread).
Last edited by Steegy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Mon May 29, 2006 8:24 am

you really want the small icons to be different.

then get away from the file with the image on it.

make a transperant background icon.

take the monkey image and put it on one icon

get other monkey images.

make each one of them for another format each one
a different format.

none the same monkey face, none
having any background.

there are enough chimp photos on the web to find
different ones for all the major formats.
listed in the monkeys install.

i fail to understand this wanting every thing to look the same.
monkey is different it needs completely re thought out icons.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon May 29, 2006 8:27 am

You don't just want to use a different monkey image for each one. The MediaMonkey icon is unique and any old money will not do!

I like the different colours, but personally all my music is mp3 (and I convert anything that isn't to mp3) so this isn't important for me. I like this one (the second in your original post!)

Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

spacekris

Post by spacekris » Mon May 29, 2006 8:14 pm

i´d like only the monkey head, without the "paper" behind.

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:07 pm

Icons wil come...

For now, I have zipped the 11 icons with the colored note&text (see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 8535#48535 ) with the registry files you have to install them.

Download here: http://home.scarlet.be/ruben.castelein/MM/CNT_2.zip

To "install" these icons:
  • Make sure that *no* program (including MediaMonkey) automaticly associates itself with certain extensions, specifically not those you are using the custom icons for.
  • Place the icons (ico files) from the zip file in a folder "C:\MusicIcons".
    Execute all registry import files (reg files). For each file, you should get a confirmation dialog and an OK dialog.
  • If this doesn't work, then open "regedit" and drag&drop all reg files (separately?) in it.
File icons might not change immediately because Windows caches already seen icons (e.g. for an mp3 file) and doesn't renew them when the associations have been changed. Anyway, on reboot of Windows they will be changed.

Of course you can edit the reg files yourself to change the location for the ico files, or the language of the context menu entries (e.g. "Play in", "Afspelen met", "Abspielen mit", ...).
If anyone knows a good program that does this easily&automaticly (maybe TweakUI?), please let me know.
Last edited by Steegy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:51 pm

you did a lot of work steegy

but i still like peke's style. it has more color. and items.

you know its an american thing.

" Them Dang american's They just got to have their cake and eat it too. "

:lol: :P :roll:

The program called " Xteq set up " or just plan " Xteq " handles icon cache's and clears them out.

it also has an SDK program where you can make your own script plugin for the program to use and tweak anything in windows you want tweaked. including changing the icons for hard drives and files. and folders.

" Xteq.com " was the orgianl site name it can still get you to where it is at.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

rusty

MediaMonkey icons

Post by rusty » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:18 am

Hi,

I really like Steegy's color coded icons with Text in the larger formats.

Although I love the Monkey, I'd recommend not to include it in the icon--I can't tell you how many times I've received mails from users asking why MediaMonkey changes their MP3 files to 'MediaMonkey files'.

-Rusty

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:30 pm

oh darn i like the monkey, even ones i make.

i just made a bunch of bmp's to use for making icons for all the listed files in monkeys set up.

i guess since others are not smart enough to know that it is only an icon and not a file, the monkey will have to remain off the file icons unless the user wants him there.

the bmps i did are nothing much just a green square with the monkey icon i did in the middle with the letters of the file ext. in the corners.

good enough for me. 8)

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 pm

I just came across a nice monkey head and maybe this will stop people from asking for more monkeys :-? :o :roll:

Clicking the image will download the ICO file.
Last edited by Steegy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:59 pm

nope that monkeys too dark its hard to see him / her.
but it is a monkey 8) and it will NOT stop me for asking for more monkeys.
after all this is media monkey and should have a whole zoo full of them. :P